Pirate music - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th August 2011, 12:14 AM   #1
oublie is offline oublie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Pirate music

I'm sick of paying over the odds for my music so i've decided to start pirating it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SdlKZ.jpg (115.7 KB, 299 views)
Old 12th August 2011, 12:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Why not use Spotify or youtube to listen to music ?
They are free.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:53 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

What, before computers we used a Roberts 808D or an Akai CR-80D (same machine different name). I mean WAY brfore computers like 1970.......Yes it is an 8 track tape recorder....Even before cassettes became popular in the US.
Old 28th August 2011, 11:33 PM   #4
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Some one I know was doing a bit of pirating for a while....read almost more music then anyone needs....when one day someones daughter started a download of a Disney movie and didn't stop the bit torrent after the movie downloaded.....well soon after there was a letter in the mail from the cable company stating that Disney knew me by my IP address and saw the movie being uploaded from said computer, and wanted to prosecute me......The cable company to my surprise does not easily give away the person associated with a certain IP address. Well needless to say there is no more bit torrenting from my.... I mean my friends house....
Old 1st September 2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Someone I know's son was in college and was downloading music-also more than he'd ever need. His roomate did the same on the friend's son's computer but didn't shut it off and it stayed on for 24 hours.

the RIAA's minion's- people they hired, then quickly downloaded a few THOUSAND songs of stuff FROM my um, the friend's sons computer (it goes both ways -"sharing") and claimed he was distributing pirated material which is much more serious than downloading.

The lad paid half the $5000 to settle with the RIAA, his dad the rest. OWWWW!

My lawyer friends said it was time to pay- the RIAA had a court date set up..

Now they've has stopped that I believe..

Last edited by Variac; 1st September 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
With the RIAA/MPAA's bullying,I'm tempted to never pay for an album or movie again,unless the profits go DIRECTLY to the artist(s). The artists deserve better treatment than they get from the Record exec's,and those a-holes aren't getting another dime from me.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:21 PM   #7
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
With the RIAA/MPAA's bullying,I'm tempted to never pay for an album or movie again,unless the profits go DIRECTLY to the artist(s). The artists deserve better treatment than they get from the Record exec's,and those a-holes aren't getting another dime from me.
Unfortunatley either are the artists. Stealing music, yes your stealing it, means less good music is made. (And internet downloading is not comparable to recording someone elses record to tape, at least 1 in 5 had bought the record, not 1 in 5000). You will always have the pop crap like Gaga, but the little independent gems will start to disappear. If you love music, please buy at least some of it. Its one of the only ways to support musicians. If you dont love music, why are you stealing it?
Old 3rd September 2011, 06:38 PM   #8
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
I now buy CDs from a deleted stock outlet .. much cheaper than buying them when they first come out.

Some of the best music is from street musicians in my local town (Chester).
Pay them direct! Excellent jazz, folk, electric classics -- no GaGa or <rap though!

Old 3rd September 2011, 08:35 PM   #9
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a new world and remember what they say about payback?

As others have mentioned, for computer music there is always youtube... for "real" music, it is harder to find but it is available.

Sorry, the money train is derailing and the "artists" will have to make money the old fashioned way--go on tour. Ya know, actually "perform" and I hear you can make money that way. Can't be a useless punk with no singing skills, have other people write the songs, massive processing build a "voice" for you and lip synch on tour much anymore...

The talented musical artists that are highly skilled with weather the change of operation quite well. The money is in the touring, the demand depends on your skills as a musician and that takes practice and work. If they get really popular, not hard to sell your music online directly to the consumer--what do you need a record company for?

The faster the "music companies" go bankrupt, the better it will be for actual music. If you like a band...go to their website and either buy a download, buy actual media (CD/DVD/USB flash drive) or both. Billboard is going away, what is #1 on Youtube this week?

In the history of musicians making money--thousands of years, it depended on actually performing the music with talent. The pre-recorded thing in retrospect, is still "new". Music won't go away if the music companies die off--it just changes back to the original concept.

Why should I give a fleeting care about some loser that can play 3 chords not getting zillions of dollars when a highly skilled concert pianist gets a fraction of what the "artist" gets and has been honing his craft for 30 years in concert halls?

Now to dump the cable companies, I'm getting sick of scanning through 10 sports channels, 5 "music" channels, 3 shopping channels, 4 news channels, Spanish channels, gay channels and women channels to see the 10 channels I actually want to see.
Old 3rd September 2011, 09:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Jeah but would the Beatles be Beatles if they haven't been discovered by the industry.Would they become more than just local band playing at weddings?

Hide this!Advertise here!