More magic stones and hockey pucks - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2012, 08:20 PM   #101
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

OK, so Ohm observed a pattern in nature. It turned out that he was right, for those materials under those conditions for which he was right.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:32 PM   #102
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Holger, not Hager. Science Citation Index shows nothing from him. Amazon shows a book on economics, but it could be another Holger Stein.
Ok so when you Google him there is nothing but nonsense explanations (My OPINION ... shared by most, but Jan there could be 50 million of us wrong! ) nasty blogs by folks who have never tried his products and lots of good reviews from folks who have.

So it is interesting in an amusing kind of way. Of course if I ever get a free chunk of magic crystal, I just might see if it has any effect on the sound field or my perception of it. I will be quite surprised if it does do anything, then it would be time for some measurements. (Using real world equipment as I have yet to meet any aliens to borrow gear from!)
Old 13th February 2012, 08:38 PM   #103
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

OK, so let's recap. Claims to be a physicist, but no real publications that I can find. Nor patents. Gives a gobbledy-gook explanation of how his devices work. No data. No specifications. No theory of operation. No controlled listening tests. Positive reviews by audio "writers" with histories of promoting nonsense. Stunningly high prices.

Sound familiar? I wouldn't be surprised if he drives a Bentley and takes less-rich designers out to expensive lunches.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:41 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post

You are very polite! I don't think "beyond" is the word I would use. Maybe "not"? It raises the question: in what sense of the word is Stein a physicist? Degree from real university? Industrial R&D leading to conventional products? Published peer-reviewed research?
He's a Physicist? I haven't read that.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:43 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

Quote:
OK, so let's recap. Claims to be a physicist, but no real publications that I can find. Nor patents. Gives a gobbledy-gook explanation of how his devices work. No data. No specifications. No theory of operation. No controlled listening tests. Positive reviews by audio "writers" with histories of promoting nonsense. Stunningly high prices.

Sound familiar? I wouldn't be surprised if he drives a Bentley and takes less-rich designers out to expensive lunches.
Based on the first paragraph I suggest you put a collection of rocks in your listening space and see if the wife can hear a difference. You never know!

The second paragraph I think is unwarranted as obviously your testing of Mr Bybees devices was incomplete! (You could not find any difference between them and a resistor and my OPINION is that in a thorough test you should have been able to find some difference!)

Last edited by simon7000; 13th February 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:49 PM   #106
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
He's a Physicist? I haven't read that.
That's his claim. Perhaps it was from Dieter und Helga's Meisten Ausgezeichnete Schule der Wissenschaft.

Quote:
You could not find any difference between them an a resistor and my OPINION is that in a thorough test you should have been able to find some difference!
You're free to try. There must be a pony in there somewhere, eh?
Old 13th February 2012, 08:50 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revboden View Post
[COLOR="Blue"]
Some years ago my wife decorated our showroom with rose quartz. When we powered up the system we had the impression that the sound had changed. It was not a big difference, more like moving a curtain into a different position. We wondered what this was about. When we moved the quartz we thought that it made a small but detectable change in the music. How could this be?
Yeah, uh, I believe it's called "diffraction"....
Old 13th February 2012, 08:53 PM   #108
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You're free to try. There must be a pony in there somewhere, eh?
Sorry, I just have a bit of trouble paying that much for a sample.
Old 13th February 2012, 08:54 PM   #109
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The second paragraph I think is unwarranted as obviously your testing of Mr Bybees devices was incomplete! (You could not find any difference between them an a resistor and my OPINION is that in a thorough test you should have been able to find some difference!)
Little room for opinion in science. And if its not science , its subjective and closer to superstition. (using myths and other peoples unsupported opinions to make comments).
Old 13th February 2012, 09:03 PM   #110
diyAudio Member

These things work, I'll prove it.
I am a professional musician and run into this sort of thing, albeit in a different manner, all the time.
These products have a price that greatly encourages folks to sit down, shut up and listen. When they do they start hearing all manner of things that have always been there but had gone unnoticed. Why? Because really listening is a lot of work.
Genuine musicians pull great music out of thin air by listening to themselves, the other players and the environment. When musicians get tired the real music happens less and less.

Hide this!Advertise here!