I can't stand this anymore (but I will)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is simple outburst about a scandal that goes on since many years.
Please take notice I have nothing against England.
When a new English hi-fi item is released (Nad, Cambridge Audio, gasp, even Wharfedale), the magazine What-hifi writes jubilant reviews, without restraint. Then a couple of lines of this review are put on all commercial web pages "to prove" the goodness of the product. And the buyers of the rest of the world buy this. If a German, French or Italian magazine would do the same for their national brands, they would be granted of a visit from the whole Consumer association the day after.

Yes, unfortunately the national pride of being designed/manufactured/assembled/handcrafted in England by a wholly British-owned firm can be a selling point for hi-fi, as well as cars, etc. European hifi is still within reach because of the EU. American hifi is limited to a few brands at the top end because the pricing is insane.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, unfortunately the national pride of being designed/manufactured/assembled/handcrafted in England by a wholly British-owned firm can be a selling point for hi-fi, as well as cars, etc. European hifi is still within reach because of the EU. American hifi is limited to a few brands at the top end because the pricing is insane.

You should see what SME arms and tables sell for here.. Very high price of admission for what is admittedly a very good product line..

The Englishmen can be proud of their Hi-Fi history & products. Just compare the English magazines to the German magazines (the dark side). Nearly all German reviews and awards (not only Hi-Fi) are bought by the industry and there are some very nasty products like Burmester (pure rip-off) or compare Canton (yikes) or MB quar(k)t with a glorious sounding BBC monitor from 1969.
BBC monitors: Masters of timing & musicality.
Canton: Ravel's Bolero will sound like hordes of Nazis stomping "rumtata rumtata..." and that without Karajan!
The new High-End magazines in Germany are an other problem: Everything they are reviewing is really good no critics allowed there - so why reviewing at all ohhh I forgot the good paying HiFi industry in Germany. Not to mention other magazines in other countries...

Whatever, I rather read HiFi-World, Hi-Fi Choice & Hi-Fi News than Stereop(l)ay.

BTW, Canton won every shootout in the last 30 years with only one exception!!! Ohh please, I will pray for Bomber Harris this night;)

Last edited:
Not particularly related to electronics or hifi or the companies and review websites mentioned, but generally I like British designs. In my limited vocabulary I will say British designs are/were straight forward, well thought of and very well made.
Don't know the recent manufacturing scene in Britain, as all manufacturing has moved to China and other countries :sad: . Could that be the reason they market their products by such methods ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.