Right, so can your speakers replicate this? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th May 2011, 07:26 PM   #1
diyAudio Moderator

Default Right, so can your speakers replicate this?

Via the BBC website:

BBC News - Trombone's shock waves caught on film
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 28th May 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I want whatever camera they have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1278452761681.jpg (13.2 KB, 148 views)
Old 28th May 2011, 09:20 PM   #3
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

A year ago I attended a solo instruments recital in a mid size venue, (unamplified sound). One part of the recital had a solo trombone piece.
I said to myself, man will there ever be a sound system that can reproduce these sheer dynamics and sound pressure of this musical instrument without having the speaker cones blast onto the opposite wall?

<We can imagine a man attending a brass wind recital, as one not seeking for the music experience, but as one who is in need of brass and searching for it .> Bertold Brecht
Old 28th May 2011, 10:59 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpapag View Post
A year ago I attended a solo instruments recital in a mid size venue, (unamplified sound). One part of the recital had a solo trombone piece.
I said to myself, man will there ever be a sound system that can reproduce these sheer dynamics and sound pressure of this musical instrument without having the speaker cones blast onto the opposite wall?

<We can imagine a man attending a brass wind recital, as one not seeking for the music experience, but as one who is in need of brass and searching for it .> Bertold Brecht
Right you are, a trumpet they say can reproduce 4 acoustic Watts. Do the math with normal numbers for speaker efficiency. 400 Watts or so.
Old 28th May 2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Cold night, warm breath?
Old 28th May 2011, 11:06 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

I once did a folk gig with a band from Southern France, hammer dulcimer, box, hurdy gurdy, and very annoying reed instrument called a bombard. I was mixing loud for a young crowd of about 2000 with a 20K PA, and even with the channel turned off, it was still too bl***y loud.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 29th May 2011, 09:17 AM   #7
gpapag is online now gpapag  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Right you are, a trumpet they say can reproduce 4 acoustic Watts. Do the math with normal numbers for speaker efficiency. 400 Watts or so.
And I only have 15 (tube-y) watts

Apart from the power out of wind brass instruments, it is the huge amounts of harmonics they are capable of producing (and this depends on the blowing mode from the player).
Once, while I was listening to a Miles Davis recording, I was watching on the PC screen the spectrum.
I could easily count up to 30 harmonics of the fundamental.

Last edited by gpapag; 29th May 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 29th May 2011, 01:22 PM   #8
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raypalmer View Post
I want whatever camera they have.
I am guessing that is a setup similar to a foucault test for optics - with a high speed camera, of course. Light source and camera on either side of the center of curvature of a big spherical mirror.

Hide this!Advertise here!