A very sad day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After 35 years of working on mobile discos I finally have had to give up due to poor fitness. I am no longer fit enough to carry the heavy gear around any more.

I started with the Untouchables disco in 1977.
Around 1980 I built my own disco from mostly Maplin kits and worked for myself up until 2011. It was great fun building the disco, it got me interested in electronics which I went into professionally in 1980.

I have a fair old cd collection but am considering putting the disco and cd's up for sale.

I guess time waits for no man......

I wasnt doing discos that often to be honest.
In recent times I was just picking one up now and then when I fancied it.

I guess I could try to lighten the load using a class d amp with SMPS.
Perhaps a laptop instead of box upon box of CD's ?
Some lightweight speakers instead of the heavy speaker boxes I made myself ?

A helper sounds like a good idea. But for one disco every few months I dont think it would keep their interest for long.

Dude!! I suggest looking into the iPod disco things. Basically, you set up two iPods in a stand. They have all your music on them. You use two so you can cue the next track while the current one is still playing. That with some active class D speakers would do wonders to lighten the load.

If iPods don't suit your fancy, a laptop with winamp (and a disco plug-in) would work as well.

~Tom

Hey Nigel, for DJing these days, I would agree with going the digital route, either laptop based, or as tomchr said, a couple ipods/mp3 players. And instead of a separate amp, you could go the class-d powered speaker route. That way all you need is the speakers, mixer and your source(s). If the speakers are larger, make sure they have casters and handles and just roll them into place and cable up. Of course you are still looking at having lighting.

Peace,

Dave

What is a "Disco"?..;)

It's a primative mating ritual where the males all stand at the bar drinking pints and the females dance round handbags in the middle of the floor.

As the ritual reaches its climax, known as Closing Time, lone males make forays into the groups of whirling females and, upon uttering the words "get your coat, you're pulled", attempt to drag the female to a remote spot in an alleyway, where an attempt to mate is made.
Females, sensing the approaching males, retreat en mass to the toilets, taking their handbags with them, hence signalling their unavailability for mating.

The ritual usually ends with the last lone male "pulling" the sole remaining female, usually refered to as "the dog". The Dog is renowned for not refusing approaches at mating.

Andy

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
where the males all stand at the bar drinking

I like to dance. :eek:

saturday-night-fever-thumb-500x386-544.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
It's a primative mating ritual where the males all stand at the bar drinking pints and the females dance round handbags in the middle of the floor.

As the ritual reaches its climax, known as Closing Time, lone males make forays into the groups of whirling females and, upon uttering the words "get your coat, you're pulled", attempt to drag the female to a remote spot in an alleyway, where an attempt to mate is made.
Females, sensing the approaching males, retreat en mass to the toilets, taking their handbags with them, hence signalling their unavailability for mating.

The ritual usually ends with the last lone male "pulling" the sole remaining female, usually refered to as "the dog". The Dog is renowned for not refusing approaches at mating.

Andy

Andy, You describe my one visit to a Cardiff disco/pub to a tee.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.