Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2011, 08:01 PM   #1
tunks14 is offline tunks14  United States
diyAudio Member

Default What do you guys suggest for me to do?

Im currently going to college for an undergrad in broadcasting. In the future I want to build/set up audio equipment(acoustical engineering? im somewhat of a noob lol). I feel like I need a background in physics but my school just dropped the physics program this year. does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do? Im open for any advice!

Thanks,
Tunks
Old 27th April 2011, 09:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Get experience setting up audio equipment.

I did the sound for some plays at my secondary school. Got to mess with QSC amplifiers, amongst other things. Got quite a nice sound out of it, was plenty loud on the gun shots and things.

If you can cite things like that in a job application for similar, you'll have a much better chance of getting an interview.

The curriculum over here (at A-level, 16-18 years old) doesn't cover much in the way of acoustics, so I'd suggest simply loitering on here, trying to pick stuff up. Ask questions, find out what you feel you should know. It wouldn't hurt to put on an application that you spent some time as a member on diyAudio, soaking up knowledge.

There is a difference between theory and practice, but the people here are usually experienced, so you'll find what they say to be more relevant to you than something in a physics textbook, which is unlikely to go into anywhere near as much depth.

Chris
Old 27th April 2011, 10:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Along with chris661's suggestions, I'll only add that you could go through your school's catalog for courses which might get you experience and training. Maybe it's sound reinforcement in the theater arts department. Maybe it's audio engineering in biology/zoology, listening to the sounds of nature. Maybe there's a part time job opportunity maintaining the school's audio equipment.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:30 AM   #4
Banned

You really would be better off with a background in physics. If there's any way you can get on such a course to supplement what you're being taught you should take advantage of it. A live course with a teacher is best.

Failing that you could look for a correspondence course or an online course such as this one here:-The Physics Classroom Topics

w
Old 28th April 2011, 12:31 PM   #5
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Yes, if you want to really understand audio then physics (and maths) are essential, because electronics is essentially applied physics. Other stuff too, such as psychoacoustics. The alternative is following fashion and rules of thumb, stuffing numbers into formulas, although many people seem to manage a perfectly satisfactory career at that level.

Teaching yourself physics is hard, but if you have the aptitude and determination you can succeed.
Old 28th April 2011, 12:37 PM   #6
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Change schools.

I'm not joking.
Old 8th May 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to kipman725
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Change schools.

I'm not joking.
ditto broadcasting isn't a 'real' degree. Do physics or Electronic and Electrical Eng.
Old 11th May 2011, 04:15 PM   #8
cbdb is offline cbdb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I feel like I need a background in physics but my school just dropped the physics program this year.
And a school that drops physics isnt much of a school.

Building and setting up are very different. You dont need physics to set up A/V gear, but you need it to design gear. Volunteer at gigs, offer to grunt for the sound man. Theres many who love to share there knowledge try to find someone like that.

Hide this!Advertise here!