Culture (was:Marketing Terms - in plain cruel words!) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2003, 05:21 PM   #11
Rob M is offline Rob M  United States
diyAudio Member

A lot of what's on TV over here these days is US remakes of Dutch or British shows. I guess it just goes in cycles. For awhile everyone was interested in sitcoms, a mainly American format. Now it's reality programming and make-over shows, which were "pioneered" by Europeans. Who knows, maybe the next big thing will be telenovelas from South America.

By the way, the last two movies I saw were "Owning Mahoney", a Canadian production, and "28 Days Later", a British film. Even if British moviehouses only allow American movies (which I somehow doubt), fortunately we don't have that same problem here in the US.
Old 8th August 2003, 05:26 PM   #12
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob M
A lot of what's on TV over here these days is US remakes of Dutch or British shows. I guess it just goes in cycles. For awhile everyone was interested in sitcoms, a mainly American format. Now it's reality programming and make-over shows, which were "pioneered" by Europeans. Who knows, maybe the next big thing will be telenovelas from South America.

By the way, the last two movies I saw were "Owning Mahoney", a Canadian production, and "28 Days Later", a British film. Even if British moviehouses only allow American movies (which I somehow doubt), fortunately we don't have that same problem here in the US.
Rob,

I think you might think a little differently if the only movies you could watch were made in Japan or those with Japanese finance
In the next few days I'll compile a list of what's on locally to me, and post it. Could be interesting reading...

Cheers,
Old 8th August 2003, 05:29 PM   #13

Oh BTW,

Nice bit of thread bifurcation...

Cheers,
Old 8th August 2003, 06:24 PM   #14

Default Re: Re: Drifting topic....sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard

Indeed there is. I always liked English movies, except for Ken Russell, who I found entirely undecipherable. But the comedies were frequently great-the old "Carry On...." series was a scream.

I would guess that part of the situation might be the shift in the desires of the movie going public. Years ago, movies-both American and foreign-were largely about plot, characters and dialog. You didn't need a gazillion dollars to make a movie. Somewhere along the line, the emphasis shifted to putting on huge visual displays with plot and character becoming de-emphasized. This led to much more money being required to make a movie if it is going to be promoted.
KW,

As the 4th largest world economy, the Uk is more than capable of sustaining the cost of commissioning films of all budgets. After all, thet are shot to make money!

Cheers,
Old 8th August 2003, 06:51 PM   #15
Rob M is offline Rob M  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dhaen
I think you might think a little differently if the only movies you could watch were made in Japan or those with Japanese finance
Several of the big Hollywood movie studios are owned by Japanese companies.

In the spring when a few idiots were calling for a boycott of French and German companies, it quickly turned out to be impossible. The way multinational companies are structured, you can't take a breath in the US without paying something to Vivendi or Bertelsmann. Or Ahold or ING or Disney or Sony.

Quote:

In the next few days I'll compile a list of what's on locally to me, and post it. Could be interesting reading...
Yes, that would be interesting. Right now I'm visiting my sister in a small town in a rural area in Oregon. There's not much going on here, movie-wise, compared to in a big city. But, among the twelve movies showing in town right now are Bend it Like Beckham (UK/Germany) and Whale Rider (New Zealand).

If you really only are allowed to see big-budget Hollywood movies, then I would agree that that would be pretty unpleasant. But, then, shouldn't your beef be with your movie theaters? Or maybe with your neighbors, for having such bad taste?
Old 8th August 2003, 07:02 PM   #16

Hi Rob,

Quote:
Several of the big Hollywood movie studios are owned by Japanese companies.
Yes I know about Matsushita and Sony's involvement. I know it caused some soul searching. But in my opinion it doesn't matter in principle who owns the place. The problem is when they control the culture.
Quote:
But, then, shouldn't your beef be with your movie theaters?
Perhaps I should write to the head office, but I don't know their "zip code"
Quote:
Or maybe with your neighbors, for having such bad taste?
Absolutely

Cheers,
Old 9th August 2003, 01:21 AM   #17
Wizard of Kelts
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob M

If you really only are allowed to see big-budget Hollywood movies, then I would agree that that would be pretty unpleasant. But, then, shouldn't your beef be with your movie theaters?
Actually, I would think that Britain, as a sovereign nation, would be well within their rights to pass laws madating that movie theaters show a certain percentage of English-made movies.

We have an analogous situation here in the US, where if an English production comes to Broadway, only a certain percentage of the actors are allowed to be non-American. Actually, it is a policy of the American actor's union, but the effect is the same.

Every country has the right to make laws to protect it's own industries.
Old 9th August 2003, 02:37 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kelticwizard

Actually, I would think that Britain, as a sovereign nation, would be well within their rights to pass laws madating that movie theaters show a certain percentage of English-made movies.

We have an analogous situation here in the US, where if an English production comes to Broadway, only a certain percentage of the actors are allowed to be non-American. Actually, it is a policy of the American actor's union, but the effect is the same.

Every country has the right to make laws to protect it's own industries.

So you think it's a good idea to let american actors star in a british production?
Well, I don't.
It just wont be the same thing, no mather how good that american actor is.

Years ago there was a pretty funny british sitcom called "dear John", about a guy who lost his wife. It wasn't art or anything like that, but it was funny and well acted.
A few years later they made an american version of it with an american cast. It really sucked!
They just did not get the english humor in it. They made it into one of their sitcoms with a laugh track.

I dont know if the original would have been a succes, because the style was very different from the typical american sitcom. No laugh track, no overacting...

The sad thing is that the original was only to be seen on the BBC. The other european countries bought the american version.

I really hate it when people who dont know anything about art get to controle it. To bad it has become an "industry".
Old 9th August 2003, 03:20 PM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Remakes in general are awful. The American version of Iron Chef, in its original form certainly one of the greatest shows ever on television, was just horrible. A remake of Father of the Bride?

We tend to do that remake a lot in our industrial film-making. It outsells the "good stuff" (by my taste, anyway) in the same way that Bose outsells Quad. The creativity is found in our smaller, more independent films. Nothing like "Pink Flamingoes" will ever come out of Europe. It's our distinct style. But make no mistake, though we sell a lot of crappy stuff for the masses, there's an enormous amount of edgy, interesting film-making going on here.
Old 9th August 2003, 03:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Remakes in general are awful. The American version of Iron Chef, in its original form certainly one of the greatest shows ever on television, was just horrible. A remake of Father of the Bride?

We tend to do that remake a lot in our industrial film-making. It outsells the "good stuff" (by my taste, anyway) in the same way that Bose outsells Quad. The creativity is found in our smaller, more independent films. Nothing like "Pink Flamingoes" will ever come out of Europe. It's our distinct style. But make no mistake, though we sell a lot of crappy stuff for the masses, there's an enormous amount of edgy, interesting film-making going on here.

Hey, I'm the first one to admit that. I love guys like Jim Jarmush or John Waters. well, I mean, their movies

I also hate dubbing. We can watch german and french tv here and they dub everything. How can anyone who loves movies watch a dubbed movie??

Hide this!Advertise here!