Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2011, 05:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What's your definition of DIY?

What's your definition of DIY? Not intending to start a flame war or put down anyone else's efforts, just curious about how other people view this.

Building a kit? (Someone else's design, and all the pieces and parts are provided, all you do is the assembly.)

Building someone else's design, from a book, the internet, wherever.

Your own design, your own fabrication?

Where do you draw the line? No, it really doesn't matter. What counts is whatever gives you the personal satisfaction. I'm just curious about what DIY means to others.
Old 24th March 2011, 06:19 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Mmmmhh... Diy here , Diy there ...have robots started to assemble something with their will ?? Everything in the world has been DIYed !
For me , starting with speakers was the easiest way ,because it didn't involve much sophisticated equipment ,and I've learned trough mistakes . But at a certain level requires skills and application ...many compare it to cooking .
It involves also study and not thinking into compartments . Good speaker designer should be also amplifier designer and viceversa . I keep my 'sources' ( Cdp, tapes ,etc.. )under regard ,those are not to be touched because I could not start from scratch to build one ....astonished to see how splendid turntables can be made ,but that requires a certain ability with the 0.01 millimeter accuracy with machine job. Well...sky's the limit
I just can say that I cannot find things on the shelves of a shop ,my creations would not sit on a shelf or a floor of a shop ...like Peter Daniel's signature ...
It may take you a lot of time and efforts , and you may give it for free to anybody ,if that pleases you.
Old 26th March 2011, 07:11 AM   #3
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

DIY can mean great bang for buck, great personal satisfaction or be able to have something that you couldn't afford or find in retail.

DIY can mean do it yourself or design it yourself but it doesn't really matter.... the end result is what is important.
Old 26th March 2011, 09:01 AM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

learn and have fun

every other goal and result is of secondary importance
Old 27th March 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
18Hurts is offline 18Hurts  United States
diyAudio Member

I got sucked (back) into DIY because I had a bunch of audio stuff laying around and decided to use it.

Had some 1990 PA cabinets, car amps, crossovers and a Logitech Z5500 system with one crushed speaker and a broken controller. Always wanted to play with isobaric loading, passive radiators, dipole/bipole, arrays, horn loading etc so those two PA cabs became one. Next thing you know the beast is unleashed and works very well.

I do it because it is fun, educational and if you mix audio and power tools--it just adds to the entertainment.

Cost? Never have I spent so much money to save so much money...
Old 28th March 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

DIY = Destroy It Yourself ....... Ever seen some of the pictures of my experiments?

To me DIY means exploring new ground and learning new things. I will build an amp just to try out a new idea. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they blow up! I rarely build someone elses design, and when I do I do something radical with it. What is radical? How about extracting 250 WPC from a design intended to make 18 WPC.

Quote:
if you mix audio and power tools--it just adds to the entertainment.
How about audio, power tools, and a bench full of big adjustable power supplies for entertainment. I'm not sure which can scare me more, the table saw or the power supply that goes to 650 volts at 1.7 amps. Both can make things fly around the room.
Old 28th March 2011, 01:44 AM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hmm...

I know what "doing it" is. I know what yourself is. So I can't help but think that DIY is something you don't talk about with friends.

Or is that just plain wrong?
Old 28th March 2011, 01:59 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hello,
DIY is also buying more stuff than you will ever use. There is a fine distinction between hording and stock on hand. Some of the stuff I buy actually gets used.
Today I bought 10 Ken-Rad 1625ís, shiny NOS for $4 each with no plan in mind.
DT
All just for fun!
Old 28th March 2011, 02:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightydub View Post

Building a kit?
Building someone else's design, from a book, the internet, wherever.
Your own design, your own fabrication?

Where do you draw the line? No, it really doesn't matter. What counts is whatever gives you the personal satisfaction. I'm just curious about what DIY means to others.
Well, you hit it yourself there at the end. Everyone will have their own level of understanding and rate of learning.

I mostly build others designs these days as there are lots of good PCB's available and I'm short on time. It's an easy and quick way to get good results. And there's still lots to tweak,and learn and build on...

Even if someone is just modding off the shelf hardware, that's still DIY...

hacking and having fun!
Old 28th March 2011, 02:03 AM   #10
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Why does anyone do those DIY things anyway?

If God intended for people to build their own equipment, he would have given them a factory.

No, it's best to spend exorbitant amounts of money for genuine, factory made stuff that was designed by people that are so much smarter than we are, that they surely were sent here from another planet!

BTW: Does anyone have plans for integrating a tin foil hat with headphones? I've looked, but they don't seem to make them.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited by TerryO; 28th March 2011 at 02:06 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!