got rearended today

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Today on the way to work someone rear-ended me so I might not be able to build any speakers soon, damn. It wasn't really anyones fault cause the people ahead of me were all riding their brakes but not slowing much, so you kind of get desensitized to their brake lights, then one of them just slammed on the brakes and I had to also, but the guy behind me must not have noticed I slowed down, it was bumper to bumper traffic. Wose, no visable damage to his car but my whole ear bumper got knocked loose and I forgot to get his drivers liscense #(very dumb oversight on my part). So tomorrow I'll call him for the # and go to the police station and see what they say to do. My dad was telling me tonight that sometimes the other insurance company will tell the person to lie and say there was no accident, since their car has no evidence, not a scratch. If they do that I'm going to have to pay for repairs with all my savings since I got a job last year, all $900 of my money. They'd better pay for this, or I'm *****ed, parts are only $200 for the bumper and shock aborber thingy but I'd probably have to pay a mechanic to install them to keep the insurance valid and everything.
Anyone here have anythingto say on this, whether I should be worried about it? Is it very common to be screwed by the other guys insurance company?

Same thing happened to me once -- the other driver's insurance company paid me a lot more than I expected, and I ended up buying my first new car with the settlement.

I wouldn't bother with the police, though. Just call the other guy's insurance company directly. Since legally if you rear-end someone, it's always your fault, no matter what the circumstances, insurance companies don't have much room to weasel out of a settlement. So long as no one got hurt, you should be in pretty good shape.

Similar experience as Rob. In the future, always get d/l number and registration info. See if you can get the names and numbers of witnesses; that always helps.

If the other guy's insurance company gives you even the slightest hint of trouble or runaround, get a lawyer. They'll often do these sorts of things on a contingency basis (i.e., they get a percentage of the settlement, usually 30-40%, zero if they don't win). Insurance companies HATE having a lawyer involved, so it's your best weapon.

Cool, I called him for the rest of his info, turns out his mom is an insurrance agent. Were dropping off the car at the shop monday before we go on vacation so I guess I'll find out. I hope his company pays cause my parents will make me pay otherwise, it's their car though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.