Yo SY...were you on NPR recently? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2011, 12:43 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptquark View Post
hey...dont ban me...AGAIN!
Unfortunately, inflating SY's already overlarge ego even further is not a banning offense. But I'm working on it.

Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 5th March 2011, 01:20 AM   #12
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Here's a link to the piece:

Plastic's New Frontier: No Scary Chemicals : NPR

The research was interesting enough to get me to move to Texas.
I think it's great that some of our members are involved in helping to make the world a bit safer of a place in which to live. Nice work you guys are doing Sy!
Thanks.

My guess is that the kids at a certain university located in Austin are hard at work trying to figure out how to make a water bong outta the darn stuff!!
Old 5th March 2011, 01:22 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmouse View Post
Unfortunately, inflating SY's already overlarge ego even further is not a banning offense. But I'm working on it.

lol...thats funny.

Lovecraft eh? one of my favorites.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:31 AM   #14
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
How many of us could there be?

The guy who did the piece was very easy to talk to, very smart, and knows how to use a shotgun mike and digital editing software.

Sorry I missed it, would have definitely recognized your voice and the topic.. Kudos..
Old 5th March 2011, 01:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

holy crap...I just had a wtf moment. SY, why did you not sneak in a DIY AUDIO wuzzup folks tweet?

Common man, you missed the op.

It would have gone something like this....."....so the plastics industry is now experimenting with these techniques to reduce estrogen-like molecules from...DIY AUDIO RULEZ BITCHES!....leeching out into the solutions contained within the plastics and possibly into the environment, further creating a ...."TUBES ARE THE SH&T MUTHA F@#%$S!!!.....messy situation.

You know, something subtle like that.
Old 5th March 2011, 01:44 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Although it's still unclear whether any of these chemicals harm people, many consumers have shown that they are willing to pay more.
This kind of thing crops up all the time and I am unsure whether or not you were/are trying to be ironic. Lots of things are cited as being a 'possible' cause or possibly a risk factor when concerning certain things. Trouble is with a lot these 'could harm' stories, no one really knows . Naturally people take it to heart though and boom a market opens.

Of course it might be bogus, but that doesn't stop the scientific challenge from being any less enjoyable, if that's how you get your kicks.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:46 AM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
This kind of thing crops up all the time and I am unsure whether or not you were/are trying to be ironic. Lots of things are cited as being a 'possible' cause or possibly a risk factor when concerning certain things. Trouble is with a lot these 'could harm' stories, no one really knows .
Exactly correct. No one knows for sure. We can't take 50,000 people and put them on one island, then dose them with xenoestrogens over several generations and compare them to 50,000 people on another island who have been carefully protected and see if there's a health or developmental difference. Epidemiology and toxicology are noisy sciences and it takes a long time to reach firm conclusions. But... some (I'm one) argue that if the cost of preventing the potential issue is minimal, why not avoid it? Others disagree, feeling that no-one should do anything until all of the health effects are completely established. Still others feel that if there's even a chance of a problem, ignore the costs and start banning things left and right.

Nonetheless, the science of xenoestrogen detection and prevention is solid and extensively peer-reviewed (including double-blind validation studies!)- the honest disagreement is over the question of what should be done with the data from a public health standpoint.
Old 5th March 2011, 04:46 AM   #18
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

There you go again, making perfect sense...

So, how does Texas fit...after the time served?
Old 5th March 2011, 12:08 PM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Austin, perfectly. Texas, not so much.
Old 5th March 2011, 02:13 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Exactly correct. No one knows for sure. We can't take 50,000 people and put them on one island, then dose them with xenoestrogens over several generations and compare them to 50,000 people on another island who have been carefully protected and see if there's a health or developmental difference. Epidemiology and toxicology are noisy sciences and it takes a long time to reach firm conclusions. But... some (I'm one) argue that if the cost of preventing the potential issue is minimal, why not avoid it? Others disagree, feeling that no-one should do anything until all of the health effects are completely established. Still others feel that if there's even a chance of a problem, ignore the costs and start banning things left and right.

Nonetheless, the science of xenoestrogen detection and prevention is solid and extensively peer-reviewed (including double-blind validation studies!)- the honest disagreement is over the question of what should be done with the data from a public health standpoint.
methylation -- or so says the molecular biologist in the household.

and while you're doing the desert island study with a pair of populations, flood one group with cash from a helicopter and see whether inflation develops. that's an experiment one of UChicago profs wanted to do about 40 years ago.

Hide this!Advertise here!