What's up with eBay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently started having problems with eBay web pages, so I upgraded my browser from Microsoft IE6 to IE8. The upgrade made things even worse. I'm not having problems with any other sites. Does anyone know what's going on?

Bobby Dipole

The computer I'm having eBay problems with is an XP machine. I have a laptop XP that's having the same problem. Ironically, I dusted off my old Win98 computer that has IE6, and it works fine on eBay. :scratch2:

Newsflash: I discovered that enabling "Compatibility View" and then disabling "Compatibility View" makes the problem go away on my XP machines. Go figure. :confused: Now I can put my Win98 machine back on the shelf.

Bobby Dipole

Looks like it. Quote from Microsoft;

Compatibility View

Internet Explorer 8 is a new release and some websites may not yet be ready for the new browser. Click the Compatibility View toolbar button to display the website as viewed in Internet Explorer 7, which will correct display problems like misaligned text, images, or text boxes. This option is on a per site basis and all other sites will continue to display with Internet Explorer 8 functionality. When you click on the Compatibility View button for a site, you don’t need to do it again as the next time you visit that site the browser will show it in compatibility mode. If for some reason you’d like to go back to browsing with Internet Explorer 8 functionality on that site, simply click the Compatibility View button again.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Are there actually any sites which use IE8 protocols which I thought were finally supposed to be in line with the current W3C standards? Compatibility view.. LOL

I used Opera for a long time in windows as well, switched to Firefox when it became sufficiently stable.

Internet explorer is the target of more exploits than I could even begin to recollect so even on the few windows machines I have I use Firefox - it's just a whole lot safer most of the time. I got a drive by download on IE7 at work some months back and neither I nor the IT guys were able to fix the damage, ultimately they just gave me a new machine (quickest solution) and said I could use any browser I wanted to.

I certainly would avoid using IE where possible..

To translate the snippet from Microsoft that lowpoke posted:

Microsoft: "we've released yet another non-standard buggy browser with our own proprietary standard that is not necessarily compatible with the W3C industry standard. Therefore your (web standard) pages won't load correctly unless you invoke compatibility mode."

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That Internet Exploder still has such a large market share is a true testimony to the laziness and ignorance of the general public.

I do know some smart folks how genuinely prefer Exploder, and that's legit. But most folks use it simply because it's the default. To them, it is the Internet. Sad, really.

To translate the snippet from Microsoft that lowpoke posted:

New more accurate translation:

We created this web page creation tool back in 1995 called Front Page. We loaded it up with all sorts of non standard features because all of our junk WILL BECOME the standard anyway. Front Page became so buggy and full of baggage that we just discontinued it, dropped all support and came out with new tools. Since so many of you loyal M$ faithful embraced Front Page and built huge non standards compliant web sites with it, we have included
compatibility mode so that people can view your web site.

Unfortunately I created my large non standards compliant web site with Front Page because it was easy for a dummy like me to use.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I started writing html manually way back in the early 1990s, those web pages bear the mark of my meager html skill set to this day :eek: and I never really quite figured out how to comfortably use frontpage or anything else for that matter.. I find writing directly in html easier to this day, but I suppose there might be a good linux based web crafting tool out there these days, I've got Bluefish, but haven't spent any time learning to use it.. :D

Edit: Spent 10 minutes with Bluefish, it's quite good - fits in with my style of manual coding and makes it much easier, providing basic coding for things like frames, tables, lists, definitions, anchors, and many formating commands with a simple click.. I like..

Last edited:
I recently started having problems with eBay web pages, so I upgraded my browser from Microsoft IE6 to IE8. The upgrade made things even worse. I'm not having problems with any other sites. Does anyone know what's going on?

Bobby Dipole

Might not be the browser , "recently started" is the key. I have 2 PC's with XP-SP3 that use both IE6 and chrome , Ebay is perfect on both those IE6's. Most likely a browser hijack or some other nefarious exploit of the inherent weakness of the XP/IE6 combo. You might even be going to a "fake" EBAY ... redirected by some exploit to get your credit card #'s. :(

IE6 would not last an hour on this computer. I would be hijacked and spywared into oblivion nearly instantly ... I go to bad places. :D IE 8 isn't much better , The pirate bay's big "DOWNLOAD" buttons break all the IE's !!! Chrome just turns "red" and shuts down. :D

OS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.