Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th December 2011, 04:42 PM   #761
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I got a Shun for my birthday last year. It's terrific. The little side scallops don't really do what they're supposed to, but the knife has a good feel in my hand and sharpens to an amazing edge. I was clean-slicing slightly overripe tomatoes with it.
Old 14th December 2011, 04:47 PM   #762
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
Have you tried any Shun knives? : Shun Knife
great
appears to be some real bargains among the cheaper knifes

know anyone who sell raw blades ?
Old 14th December 2011, 04:54 PM   #763
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
I got a Shun for my birthday last year. It's terrific. The little side scallops don't really do what they're supposed to, but the knife has a good feel in my hand and sharpens to an amazing edge. I was clean-slicing slightly overripe tomatoes with it.
What side scallops? Do you mean the ones in the blade to stop stuff sticking to it?
Old 14th December 2011, 04:58 PM   #764
diyAudio Moderator

Yes. Potatoes and other tubers still stick heroically.
Old 14th December 2011, 05:15 PM   #765
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
so ridiculously sharp my missus won't touch it.
I wouldn't either. One thing I have learned over the years is that I was born with a natural talent to hurt myself. If a bike is too fast I know it will kill me, if a blade is too sharp I know it will cut the tip of my finger off . For the same reason I don't (and never will) build amps with scary high voltages (over 350 volts) - my body seems to have developed a natural immunity against 350 volts. I get shocked often and it's no problem.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:01 PM   #766
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post

Is it handed like Japansese knives? The thick blade and single edged ones you could shave with easily. BTW I thought those markings were an artifact of the Damacene process.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:08 PM   #767
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I bought one of these sharpener thingees for me for christmas. After being a foodie all my life I cannot believe I did this by hand all those years. Quite a difference from the old stone and steel.

canada knife|chefs choice edgeselect 120 electric knife sharpener
Old 14th December 2011, 08:13 PM   #768
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
I bought one of these sharpener thingees for me for christmas. After being a foodie all my life I cannot believe I did this by hand all those years. Quite a difference from the old stone and steel.

canada knife|chefs choice edgeselect 120 electric knife sharpener
Yes, I have two Western and Asian style. Western ones can permanently destroy Asian knives.

Of course there's a site for those who can't spend enough time or money on it. Who would that be like http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/

Last edited by scott wurcer; 14th December 2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:17 PM   #769
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I haven't had the pleasure of using asian style knifes. I am just glad a cleaver is seen as a western style knife 'cause that's about all I use except for a wee little paring knife that doubles as a fingernail cleaner.

Do you have the same style sharpeners and did you buy them a long time ago? I'm afraid I haven't banged my head against the wall enough yet.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:23 PM   #770
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Is it handed like Japansese knives? The thick blade and single edged ones you could shave with easily. BTW I thought those markings were an artifact of the Damacene process.
No, it's ambidextrous. The markings are Damascene, but the scalloped out portions look machined. I was using it last time you were over, but you were probably too busy chugging the Rhones.

Hide this!Advertise here!