The food thread

Last night Spanish omelettte (aka tortilla de patata) and salad for dinner. Tonight we are back out of quarantine, my wife is going to a friend's for birthday dinner, our daughter is meeting friends for dinner, and I am on my own. It's kind of rainy but I want to burn some charcoal and cook... something. Maybe a steak? A thick porkchop or two? Spatchcock a chicken, spice it up, and grill it? Either way I need to shave before going out shopping, though masked up so won't actually frighten children anyway.

(This was our 3rd 14-day quarantine this year. First in mid-May when I returned from Montreal, second in end of Aug or early Sept when the child returned from BC, then she went back to see the boyfriend in BC and apartment hunting in Montreal and returned 2 weeks ago. The first week is never too bad, but by the end of the second week we are all getting a bit shack-wacky and running out of food options.)

I didn't see ANY messages here, praising the exquisite joy of tetrazzini made with turkey left over from Thanksgiving day. The week _before_ Tgvg, there were a lot of assertions that tetrazzini was the absolutely best possible way to use leftover turkey. But nobody actually prepared and ate it??

At UChicago we had it for weeks after Thanksgiving -- at least once a week. I recall it had asparagus which still had a bit of a crunch. Food on the Midway was really good, Sundays they would serve prime rib, chicken cordon bleu, etc.

In the middle of making a brioche for tomorrow's breakfast, and a sandwich bread with some potato starch from a real potato. Two loaves of bread, the RLB "Bread Bible" "Simple Sandwich Bread" -- a bit too much for me and wife, and that version is only good for toast after the second day.

Make that 500+ cookies and 18 loaves so far...

Attachments

• 20201206_155814.jpg
    20201206_155814.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20201206_155857.jpg
    20201206_155857.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 78
I hit 60 loaves one year. Won't do that again. I am getting too old. I bought a 6QT kitchen-aid mixer hoping it would do a batch. No such luck. It will do 3 loaves at a time max. I am back to doing 6 loaves per batch in a big bowl by hand.

My mom died of Overian Cancer in 1981. I was 29.

She always baked the Raisin Bread and cookies at Christmas time and sent a care package to me when I was in the NAVY.

Around 1983 or 1984 I started baking the Raisin bread and sending it to my brothers and sister, along with the cookies to keep her memory alive.

I have been baking them ever since then.

Last couple of years I have branched out into Pennsylvania Dutch cookies. My dad was from Frackville PA. My Grandfather was a butcher. Lots of family history there.

Mark, you quack me up. Been feeding the ducks next door too much! ;)

Kitchenaid is last I knew a Hobart brand.

Gimp, on the TV show My Three Sons, if I recall correctly, when the actor playing Uncle Bud passed away they replaced him with Uncle Charley, who was a retired navy cook. One of his lines was about reducing his receipes from feeding thousand to just 6.

I suspect a real issue is that baking bread smells wonderful and preventing it all from being eaten before it gets shipped out!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
My kitchen aid (275 watts; "Classic") defecated the bedsheets over the weekend, while kneading pizza dough. I investigated upgrades but didn't buy the Hobart. The Kenwood looked intriguing (review) especially the 800 watt motor. Observe how the reviewers praise its multitudes of ventilation slots; the designer knew that an 800 watt motor is likely to get warm when used to capacity. Who knows, I may pull the trigger and buy it from Amazon one of these days.

Inspired by that miscreant James May, whose cooking show on Amazon Prime I referred to previously, I made the pub fish pie according (almost) to his recipe -- a leek and half a large onion sweated in butter. The fish (salmon, cod and frozen shrimp) were cooked in 400ml of milk and the liquid reserved. (I added some saffron threads to the liquid). Combined the liquid with some corn starch to thicken, threw it all in a medium sized ceramic pot and piped with mashed potatoes. Oven at 375F for 20 minutes.

It came out really nice!

Oh, with respect to Kitchen Aid mixers -- we killed one which my grand-mother had given us as a wedding present -- she had purchased it at an estate sale in Cleveland so it already had decades of wear. We replaced it with a dandy one on sale at Bed & Bath about 20 years ago and only its power cord has been replaced.

Still have the same Cuisinart used to make baby-food...that baby now has three small fry. We did have one blade which cracked and was easily replaced.

Last edited: