Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th November 2011, 05:40 AM   #731
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Our main course was an odd international mix- ravioli stuffed with duxelles of morel and requeson cheese, served in a tomato, white wine, and brown butter sauce. That's Italian, Mexican, and French, all in one. And of course we served it with a Rioja, just to add another country to the list.

For football day tomorrow (though it couldn't be better than the Ravens-49ers on T-day), we're trying some Nepalese steamed dumplings with paneer in a tomato chile sauce (last of this year's tomatoes from our garden and two varieties of green chile that we grew).
A Rioja from, well, La Rioja region (Spain)? Sounds obvious, but you know, for example that Kobe steaks that are never really made in Kobe Is it expensive there? Do you remember the brand?

Requeson sounds a lot like being from spain, as far as I know. Were you referring it as the mexican dish? Well, we all speak spanish in the end, so....

I haven't got any pictures, but today I ate the well-known Paella. I just have now some leftovers... maybe for breakfast?
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:03 AM   #732
diyAudio Member

One of the advantages of living in New England is that friends don't know what to do with that extra 300lb. of Bluefin.

Yesterday fresh, I'm willing to believe the locals who say Atlantic tuna does not need the parasite killing flash freeze (YMMV) this stuff is like butter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaaaaaaacc.JPG (50.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:01 PM   #733
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
A Rioja from, well, La Rioja region (Spain)? Sounds obvious, but you know, for example that Kobe steaks that are never really made in Kobe Is it expensive there? Do you remember the brand?

Requeson sounds a lot like being from spain, as far as I know. Were you referring it as the mexican dish? Well, we all speak spanish in the end, so....

I haven't got any pictures, but today I ate the well-known Paella. I just have now some leftovers... maybe for breakfast?
Since I haven't eaten meat in about 50 years, I couldn't tell you much about Kobe steaks. This Rioja was bought at auction- it was a 1981 Bodegas Franco Royal Reserva- so it wasn't very expensive. But super good, I love the older styles with lower alcohol and extraction and more local character than the newer fashions in wine.

Requeson is a cheese from Mexico, similar to ricotta but a bit dryer, denser, and (to me) more flavorful. Unfortunately, my Spanish is limited to simple stuff I need to get by day to day, but I've been told that Mexican Spanish (which is what I know) is a very different language than Castillian.

Best paella I ever had was in Madrid, not Valencia!
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:10 PM   #734
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well, we all speak spanish in the end, so....
No, not really.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:25 PM   #735
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, my Spanish is limited to simple stuff I need to get by day to day, but I've been told that Mexican Spanish (which is what I know) is a very different language than Castillian.
Well, most of it remains the same, there are some minor differences in the names of things that are not wrong in Spanish, just that you can say the same thing with different words, and they use to say in a way, and we use to in another. Both being corrent regarding Castillian most of the time.

Quote:
Me too!
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:38 PM   #736
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since I haven't eaten meat in about 50 years, I couldn't tell you much about Kobe steaks.

Paella without meat? I have never had that.
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:43 PM   #737
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
so....
Aizu, mapan erakutsiko al didazu ?
Old 2nd December 2011, 01:13 PM   #738
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dunlap View Post
Paella without meat? I have never had that.
Easy to do. In Madrid, it was done with tomato, asparagus, and spinach (I think it's called paella vegetale). Inspired by that experience, I make a tomato and egg paella when it's tomato season- bomba rice, lots of saffron, ripe heirloom tomatoes. When it's just about done, I crack a couple eggs over it, cover, and let them barely set.

We also grow Padron peppers here to make my favorite Spanish bar-food snack, fried Padrons with salt. The Texas soil apparently alters the heat balance- Spanish Padrons have about 1 out of 10 very hot, the others sweet (it's random, which makes it fun). Here, we get about 2/3 of them hot. They are amazingly flavorful.
Old 2nd December 2011, 03:01 PM   #739
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Aizu, mapan erakutsiko al didazu ?

Very unwise to remind a true Castilian that there are Spaniards who dare speak such garbage.
Old 2nd December 2011, 03:33 PM   #740
diyAudio Member

Forgot to stay on topic....

Those Basques eat pretty well, this one is one of my favorites dishes:

Merluza en Salsa Verde

Hide this!Advertise here!