The food thread

In the old world pants are underwear! we wear trousers :p

In India only little boys wear trousers, it's what they call short pants. It struck me strange when I was there, because in the summer Canadian males wear shorts and hats, two things you never see on men in India (except policemen).
I went walking around downtown Bangalore in shorts and a straw hat and got some very strange looks.

Palak Paneer tonight and the age old question of whether to blend up the spinach or just roughly slice it? I prefer sliced but I think that just makes me a heathen.

Last time I made it, I followed a recipe I found on an Indian site. I used green chard and spinach blanched and chopped fine by hand. I've had it made into almost a liquid puree in a Vitamix, I found that heathen.

This recipe had three parts the greens, the paneer, and the spices fried in ghee and cooked with tomato. I personally found it better than any restaurant version I have had. Definitely a slow food version.

It's almost been a game prepping food these days. Look into a cupboard or the freezer and pull something out then decide what it's going to be. For example I grabbed some dried beans and shiitake mushrooms, put them in the pressure cooker while I wandered through the fridge. Found a package of prepared crab and some leftover white fish. Added some frozen Okra and had a Ragout. Came out better than expected and it continues to help empty the freezer and get rid of things with dust on them.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill,
Did you make the paneer? If so, what's your recipe?

I didn't this time. Wife did and I just ate it. Will confirm the spice mix. Chard sounds good to add. The kids will eat it but only if the paneer is whizzed in the blender. We fry the paneer first, which is again considered heathen in some places but we like it.

BTW not sure if you have the equivalent of the UK show 'ready steady cook' but I reckon you would ace it. Chefs are given 3 ingredients and access to what a well stocked kitchen would have and have to make a meal!

Never have warmed to Palak Paneer. This past Monday I fixed an 8-quart Instant Pot load of kidney beans, hominy, frozen cut corn, green beans, green onion, red bell pepper, carrots, tomato, cilantro. Spices included cumin seed, bay leaf and mustard seed tempered in ghee, with onion, garlic and Serrano pepper. Turmeric, hot paprika, black pepper, cumin, fenugreek, salt, coriander, and cumin powder got folded into chopped veggies. After the onions and peppers and garlic got rendered down a bit in the ghee, I added the kidney beans to cook first, with some water and a tsp of hing. I let the beans cook for a while, then folded in the rest of the vegetables to cook, followed by a pressure cycle of 3 min at low pressure.

The heat level is moderate/comforting. The veggie mix lends itself nicely to a roti wrap. I had a couple for breakfast...

Since it's just me here working from home, the pot-load will probably feed me until Saturday. Next up might be an Instant Pot chicken biryani.

Last edited:
We've been doing a lot of stir fried veggies since giving up meat last November, it's amazing how much further the past quantity of ingredients goes that we used to use.

For what we would cook before for a meal and eat, now we're reducing the quantaties as there was always something leftover when we served up dinner:confused: