The food thread

Did someone say bread?

bagels.jpg

Joined 2014
Paid Member
BTW, we don't make white bread here.

I don't make white bread!

I assume you realise that we've been using Canadian flour to make bread in UK for an awfully long time? It's only been in the last few years we've managed to breed strains that can handle the uk climate and have enough gluten. There is a local mill where they actually list the farms that the flour comes from. Sadly totally out of stock at the moment thanks to hamsters

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Here in UK one of the strangest things is how the humble bread roll changes its name depending on the part of the country you come from. Alternative names are
Bap
Cob
Barm
Bun
Batch

And there is still fierce tribalism over what is correct.

But thank you for the flour. It is a great contributor to domestic happiness as Wife cannot be grumpy with me when she wakes up to the smell of fresh bread from the kitchen :)

I assume you realise that we've been using Canadian flour to make bread in UK for an awfully long time? It's only been in the last few years we've managed to breed strains that can handle the uk climate and have enough gluten. There is a local mill where they actually list the farms that the flour comes from. Sadly totally out of stock at the moment thanks to hamsters
We have a saying at work about assumptions and mothers of all f... ups;)

I fink i lernt about it in skool wen i was in juniers about 1967:cool: