The food thread - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 08:45 AM   #601
diyAudio Member
 
sofaspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: San Antonio
I like to saute mushrooms with yellow and zucchini squash slices, bell peppers, onion. Salt and pepper to taste. A little Parmesan to sprinkle on. Good eatin', and colorful too!
__________________
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from enquiry. - Thomas Paine
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 09:04 AM   #602
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
Borsch, and iced Vodka!
Borsch(t) with a dash of vodka adds just that little zing, imo. The thought of blini and borscht makes the approach of winter slightly more bearable.
Ahh, the days of going on a (Kremlin subsidised) Sovjet propaganda tour, loads of caviar in every hotel from Moscow to Leningrad, and silly cheap Beluga to carry home.

(if you pour the entire 6-pack in yourself, but nothing in the stew, yes)
__________________
The buck stops Here

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 12th October 2011 at 09:11 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 02:30 PM   #603
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator
 
Cal Weldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Near Vancouver
Vancouver and Seattle are only a couple hours apart by auto and our climates are one and the same. Yes, many strains of mushroom/fungus here.
__________________
Next stop: Margaritaville
Some of Cal's stuff | Cal Weldon Consulting
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 03:22 PM   #604
diyAudio Member
 
vinylkid58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Turkey sandwiches for lunch tomorrow...again?
No, just more soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Hey, thinks could be worse, a lot worse, right?
Yes.

jeff
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 03:25 PM   #605
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Dunlap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Weldon View Post
Vancouver and Seattle are only a couple hours apart by auto and our climates are one and the same. Yes, many strains of mushroom/fungus here.
We have mushrooms after any rain, except in the coldest part of winter. I hunted mushrooms before I became unable to. Types vary by location in the US. Around middle TN, morels are the big prize for most people. There are several other types I like. The most overlooked mushroom by most people are the puffballs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 04:57 PM   #606
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: UK
Oh yes!

Morels (Morilles in french) used to be found in abundance when I lived near Fontainebleau many years ago. A great delicacy!

I have not seen any around here, though.

Last edited by cliffforrest; 12th October 2011 at 05:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 05:38 PM   #607
diyAudio Member
 
scott wurcer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: cambridge ma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
Borsch(t) with a dash of vodka adds just that little zing, imo. The thought of blini and borscht makes the approach of winter slightly more bearable.
Ahh, the days of going on a (Kremlin subsidised) Sovjet propaganda tour, loads of caviar in every hotel from Moscow to Leningrad, and silly cheap Beluga to carry home.

(if you pour the entire 6-pack in yourself, but nothing in the stew, yes)
Ever tried Polish Christmas style? Wild mushrooms and fermented in the backyard for a week like kimchee.
__________________
"The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important."
  Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 06:18 PM   #608
diyAudio Member
 
jacco vermeulen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: At the sea front, Rotterdam or Curaçao
Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Me had Polish uncle, even named after him, came over as a soldier in ww2 to liberate Holland and got the hots for my aunt.
(never heard of fermented mushrooms, but they likely ferment just about anything overthere)
__________________
The buck stops Here
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 02:24 PM   #609
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Just back from China and tried some interesting food: Scorpions and cicada.

Scorpions: just like crispy chicken skin, could see them taking off over here
Cicadas: unfortunately no where near as good, fiberous and bitty-kinda like the skins off popcorn kernals you kept on fishing bits from between your teeth, but with a nasty and unplacable after tatse and a texture akin to massively overcooked meat.
Stinky tofu: Couldn't bring myself to eat this-the smell made me gag and was thick in the air-just thinking of it is making me shudder
Otherwise I was disapointed in the weirdness of the foods, was hoping for some more variation in the insect stakes!
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2011, 04:57 PM   #610
TerryO is online now TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member
 
TerryO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seattle,Wash.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaronGroog View Post
Just back from China and tried some interesting food: Scorpions and cicada.

Scorpions: just like crispy chicken skin, could see them taking off over here
Cicadas: unfortunately no where near as good, fiberous and bitty-kinda like the skins off popcorn kernals you kept on fishing bits from between your teeth, but with a nasty and unplacable after tatse and a texture akin to massively overcooked meat.
Stinky tofu: Couldn't bring myself to eat this-the smell made me gag and was thick in the air-just thinking of it is making me shudder
Otherwise I was disapointed in the weirdness of the foods, was hoping for some more variation in the insect stakes!
It's a good idea to remember before going to Asia, that there are four basic Chinese food groups: Swim, Fly, Slither and Crawl.

However, nothing compares to the wholesome and deliteful taste of Lutefisk!

Best Regards,
TerryO
__________________
"If you have to ask why, then you're probably on the right track."
quote from Terry Olson's DIYaudio Forum application
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harmonic parrot food? StoneT Tubes / Valves 9 30th June 2008 12:58 PM
Food for thought - B3S bzdang Full Range 7 12th March 2005 10:08 PM
Some food for thoughts: UniversalX uli Pass Labs 15 15th December 2004 08:25 PM
UN survey on food shortage (joke) Circlotron The Lounge 1 24th September 2004 02:34 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:31 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2