The food thread

so Canada is responsible for that abomination known as Hawaiian pizza?
here I was blaming the Hawaiian folks!

I suppose the Canadian bacon should have been a dead giveaway.

anyone know anything awesome to do with prickly pear fruit? ours are coming in like crazy.....always just had a few but this yr gonna have a couple gallons!

Attachments

• 20190910_183031.jpg
    20190910_183031.jpg
    516.4 KB · Views: 118
As far as the mussels go, your recipe sounds really good.
No I won't even bother with the ingredients let alone the how-to. You have to see it firsthand, honest.

Come on Cal you're killing us. ;) I have three ways depending on mood, the Thai/Vietnamese style mentioned, galangal, ginger, lime leaf, lemongrass, coconut milk and a Mediterranean version with, olive oil, garlic, saffron, fennel seed, leeks, tomatoes, orange rind. Then occasionally garlic, parsley, white wine, and heavy/clotted cream.

As good as you are I would never abandon my favorite preparations. :D

I'll give you my recipe for Devon mussels if you give me yours! Come on, inquiring minds want to know.

Rinse Exmouth mussels and remove beards (holdfasts).
Dice a medium onion (3mm dice).
Dice half as much fennel bulb (as onion).
Thinly slice a little fresh root ginger.
In a little rapeseed oil (Canola) sweat the onion, fennel and ginger. Do not brown!
Add the washed mussels, and enough Devon cider to drown them.
Add Cornish sea salt and dust from a few grains of paradise.
Heat on medium until all mussels open.
Add chopped parsley and a little Devon clotted cream.
Place lid on pan, and shake a few times.
Serve in a large bowl for all.

Mussels are kind of a tradition around here. The bigger, the better in Belgium, even though the smaller French mussels (Bouchot) might be tastier.

The recipe I got is very simple: cook thinly sliced onions, carrots and celery in a ton of butter (celery goes last in, to stay a bit firm). Deglaze with quite a bit of white wine, add a bay leaf and some thyme, drop the mussels in, keep on high heat until open, serve with fries (or even better fresh French bread, to dip into the cooking liquid).

I also would love to see a demonstration of Cal's secret technique. What about a video?

Yes, mussels use a 'beard' to hang out on pilings or special ropes if they are farmed. Easy to harvest at low tide.
I use the New Zealand Green Shells for my dish.
The reason I am staying mum on this is:

1. There are only 4 readily available ingredients in the sauce. The ingredients do not seem to be a natural match for one another.
2. I want you to try them before I tell you those ingredients.
3. You have to watch the sauce prep the first time or you will fail making it and think they're no big deal. Trust me, this was not an overnight success. Back when Mussels were the same price as squid, we used to eat a lot of them and we needed to do something more than a garlic butter or wine sauce.
4. The measures are not formal. You use your eyes to judge both quantity, consistency and colour of the final (sauce) product. Too much of any of the four and they're toast.
5. They must be cooked on the half shell on a gill, hence the NZ Greenshells.
6. There was an informal pact among the 3 of us, not to release the recipe and just see who the first chef was to boast about inventing them. To this day, we are the only ones to be successful at it, and there has not been any thing on any cooking show even close that I have seen.

I am not trying to be pigheaded but I have spelled out why so I hope you understand.

My corn has sprouted, added it to a bottle of cheap vodka.

Taste is much better.

I just cut the bottom off of a plastic quart bottle, soaked the seeds for a day and then added a paper towel folded up to keep the seeds out of the water.

Two weeks under the sink gave me a lot of sprouts. Some got dunked others added to my basement LED illuminated grow pot. Will need to upgrade it as the corn gets taller.

Don't know why the picture is sideways. Maybe the camera got drunk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 85