The food thread

Simple dinner tonight. Jalapeno corn bread, cabbage with onions and bacon, pinto beans, taters and onions, and grilled port loin.

Attachments

• Dinner-1.jpg
    Dinner-1.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 94
Storm rations tonight. No power for >24hrs so time to see what’s in the freezer. Found 2 pkgs of beef short ribs and some frozen beef stock. Couldn’t really thaw anything but lit the charcoal grill and browned/thawed the ribs, then put a skillet over the coals and sited the usual suspects in some olive oil, added fresh herbs from the garden, some red wine plus the beef stock (which was thawed in a pot on the grill while everything else cooked). Lowered the coals, covered the pan and closed the lid, will let it simmer a while. Also wrapped spuds and butter in foil and put it on the cool side.

Did I mention that I put the beef ribs in the pan with the veg and stock? That was the whole point, I am making braised short rib bs on the barbecue.

Last edited:
BTW, the tomatoes have been cleaned, sliced, blendered, cooked, seasoned, cooled, milled, and bottled, and the TJ is giving me a giant foodie woody. It is so ******* good, I am scared of what's going to happen tomorrow for the amount I've already drank. 16 litres of the crimson nectar from $6 CAD of tomatoes.

Muuuahahahaha!

Peppers are for another day, I am finished.

I am well underway with the pepper sauce.
Note to self:
After testing the peppers for heat, do not, I repeat, do not do your daily afternoon mouthwash routine.
Holy ****, why did I not think of that? Talk about facial conniptions Batman! 10 minumites later and I have troublebuble movinining my lips in sync with my brain. Whoa!

I think I just invented a new drug for the S&M'ers.

I just do not get the hot requirement to taste good. I do not know how to taste, when my mouth is on fire? You guys must have that part figured out because I can't :)
I done lots, fried my brain lots of times :) but burning mouth, sweats, next day bowel issues, I am a wimp :) I call it a spectator sport :) Enjoy the fire LOL

Helped a lady in the grocer the other day get a box/bushel of red sheppard peppers (sweet), said she makes jelly, sounds interesting.
I have millions of sweet millions, just going to freeze them, getting cold, to bad, millions of green ones. The heritage toms are yellow/orange and a different texture inside, monster beef stakes.
Squash turning out okay, almost ready to eat. The farmer says it is better they get a frost, toughens the skin for better,longer storage.

Last edited:
While we are on the topic of batch cooking...

I've got about 24lbs of frozen peeled and cut oranges (a somewhat poisoned gift as they will turn to mush once defrosted).

What could I do with that ? There will be a 100 persons church gathering on Saturday so that might be the occasion to get rid of those (the oranges, not the persons ;) ).

I am reminded of a work colleague who gave a talk to local cooks on food science. He mentioned that tinned peas (in the UK) were dyed with green (actually yellow and blue) food dye to maintain their colour having gone through the cooking/tinning process.

After the meeting, a cook said she preferred all her food to be fresh. My colleague asked her for an example, she said New Zealand lamb!