The food thread

I generally think of broth as a LOT more watery than stock, which, at least for me, is gelatinous. Latter fortunately take up a lot more space in the freezer. :)

I guess I was also thinking in terms of making a specific stock/broth *for* a dish versus grabbing a frozen stock out of the freezer, and making the latter whenever enough bones add up.

Well ruddy-be-jabbers, I just looked it up. The difference between broth and stock.
Hoodathunk? Sorry, who knew?
Stock is made from the yuck bag and broth uses the meat.
So... you will make a broth while stewing meat but stock comes from the bones, skin, fat, hoofs, nostrils, tail, lips, eyebrows, brains and other goodies, hopefully the uterus (sold as intestine), which by btw is actually the fallopian tubes.
Um num. It's amazing how much your friends enjoy the food as long as you don't tell them.
My mouth is watering but it's time for a dog walk. See y'all in a bit.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
I have a rhetorical question, does anyone think there is anywhere to experience food that we read about in the history books from the 15th -17th centuries. Case in point pork from Portugal packed in barrels with vinegar, wine, and garlic, traveling for months to colonies in the far east?

Good question. There has been a drive recently to start making proper IPA again as we would have shipped to the drunkards in India. Fotr a real old history lesson (and assuming youtube allows it outside uk) YouTube here is Clarissa Dixon Wright cooking some stuff from about 700 years ago.

Your question caused some googling and I found this The Pirate Surgeon's Journal: Golden Age of Piracy: Pork As Food And Medicine Page 1 I really hadn't realised how much pork drove the world's navies

But not found anyone who still makes portugese style pork.

Jalapeno poppers went over well at the local Home brew Club camp out.

Split jalapenos, mixed creamed cheese with Mexi-cheese and spread it in the jalapenos. Stuffed it with a Little Smokie sausage. Wrapped it with bacon and smoked at 250F for 50 minutes.

Yes, at times I am into healthy eating.

Just not tonight.

Well ruddy-be-jabbers, I just looked it up. The difference between broth and stock.
Hoodathunk? Sorry, who knew?
Stock is made from the yuck bag and broth uses the meat.
So... you will make a broth while stewing meat but stock comes from the bones, skin, fat, hoofs, nostrils, tail, lips, eyebrows, brains and other goodies, hopefully the uterus (sold as intestine), which by btw is actually the fallopian tubes.
Um num. It's amazing how much your friends enjoy the food as long as you don't tell them.
My mouth is watering but it's time for a dog walk. See y'all in a bit.

I have always followed the advise of my mother.

Eat all things new.

Never ask what it was until the next day.

Sound advise to learn to like new foods in my opinion.

Unfortunately the lamb available to me is all the popular pieces, but frozen.

That surprises me, we get a lot of fresh lamb. I can always get flank, shanks, chops, leg, shoulder etc at the grocery store, but I can also get better quality fresh lamb at a mid-Eastern grocery and "Halal" butcher a couple of blocks from my house. Cheaper too. I got some cut up lamb meat there a couple of weeks ago for $6.50/lb.

There is an African diner downtown that serves a very good "juicy goat stew".

We have a large community here with a couple of the restaurants doing it from scratch.

We have an even bigger community here with only one that I know does it from scratch. When the broth is gone, they close shop. I haven't gone there. Someone said they get about 200 bowls out each day. Makes for a short work day, unless you realize the next day's broth has to start the afternoon before. So much for a short work day. :)