The food thread

Real charcoal and a chimney or blowtorch starter is important. Briquettes and lighter fluid are a no-no IMO.

Sound advice, and I am already with you on that. Last summer an old friend and I went on a mission to his family's cottage, to rescue a 4'x8' painting by my grandmother (which was painted about 50 years ago). We stopped to pick up supplies which included some charcoal, and when we went to light the bbq Rick said "Oops we're out of lighter fluid!" I said "Good", grabbed some dry twigs from nearby pine and spruce trees, lit a little wood fire under the charcoal, grabbed the old fireplace bellows, and had a nice bed of coals in about 20 minutes.

I want one of those chimney starters, but was a bit surprised to see them asking $20+ for them. I may just go buy a big tin of juice and get busy, even if I throw away the juice I come out ahead. (Now do I want tomato juice (vodka) or pineapple (rum)?) At least I assume they still sell juice in those big 48oz tins.

I want one of those chimney starters, but was a bit surprised to see them asking $20+ for them.

What, you don't have "Habitat RESTORE" in God's country -- I got my chimney starter at the thrift store for a couple bucks.

Here in Cleveland, they always have huge selections of the Cleveland Orchestra LP's from the Szell era. If ya wanna hear Mozart as God planned it, Szell's your man!

Late June I need to do a "Beer Run" to south GA to pick up a couple of sacks of Vidalia onions.

My moma was from Ware county. It is one of 5 counties in south GA that can claim they grow Vidalia onions.

What they sell in stores is not real Vidalia onions.

A good onion can be sliced in 1/4" slices and placed on bread with a bit of mayo and black pepper for a sandwich.

Unfortunately, they (Vidalia) rot quickly due to their high sugar content.

I'll trade you my "working" Samsung for one of your reject GEs!

Oh I forgot this is the second time this has happened. First was years ago with a Samsung fridge, our mistake was thinking the extra 3 cubic feet were free. Turns out the guts were re-engineered to fit in a smaller space and the first failure the manu just ordered a replacement. The second one constantly froze up all the water/ice mechanism and the repairman said that we "used it (opened the door) too much". Again the third was a charm, that one was serious money $3,300 MSRP and again no charges at all for two replacements.

Nobody in NorCal even bothers to pretend they're selling Vidalia onions. They just call them "Sweet Onions" or occasionally "Walla Walla Onions" from Washington state. Even without the Vidalia label they're very good to eat.

Walla Walla actually predates Vidalia. The web claims Vidalia is a protected designation and I know George ships onions probably to all 48 states. We have an item here that is similar Florida Mt. (MA) turnips, French Canadians found the soil here de-emphasized the pungent quality of their favorite turnip variety.

Veggies are usually a combination of selection and soil, I know the broccoli and Brussels sprouts from the Connecticut River Valley are way "gassier" that the ones from California.

The second one constantly froze up all the water/ice mechanism and the repairman said that we "used it (opened the door) too much"
With ours, I used a metal coat hanger and fashioned a 'heater rod' attached to the defrosting element, found just under the cooling coils, and ran it down the drain tube into the pan.

My advice with regard to expensive fridges -- put a surge protector on the outlet off which they eat. The SMPS and associated mcu's don't take kindly to jolts of volts.

Our 4 failures were all mechanical except maybe the DOA one. The Samsung saga was the replacement for the SubZero (which had failed anyway) since the remodel of the kitchen no longer needed the cabinet depth feature.

In our "full nest" days there were 4 kids and 2 to 3 exchange students here.

With ours, I used a metal coat hanger and fashioned a heater rod attached to the defrosting element, found just under the cooling coils, and ran it down the drain tube into the pan.

Well they offered a free third fridge, I suspect they still had not gotten something right. Folks from around the world marvel at American fridges, for years my friends in Germany had nothing but what we would call the basement beer fridge in their kitchen off in a corner.

According to the Vidalia web site, they ship to all continental states and Canada.

They claim the low sulfur content of the soil is responsible for the lack of bite.

What we get in the store is good, but not as good as what can be purchased from roadside stands in GA. The ones from the stands are always much sweeter.

It's a pity they don't make it easy to find a stainless fridge with the freezer drawer without an ice maker/water dispenser. Those "features" eat a ton of space, cause reliability problems, and I don't even use them.
Interesting. Here we have about as many without the water as with. Both are common, but for me, I couldn't do without the ice maker. Also, I have a slim design (modern) so you hardly notice what you are missing. What I don't get is the units you have to open the door to access the ice or water. What's with that?

^ I use ice infrequently enough that trays work great for me, but I know I'm more the exception than the rule.

The interior access setups don't make sense to me either. I'll probably end up with a pretty standard minimal design, but the double door and freezer drawer layout without a ice/water dispenser is rare/nonexistent. Probably will end up with the freezer on top fridge bottom like every apartment I've ever owned. :)