The food thread

All this stuff sure looks good.
"Brisket can come out looking like a meteorite" LOL that's funny, but an awful lot of truth there.
Here's a quick & easy hors d'oeuvre:
Make up your favorite tuna salad as you would for sandwiches. Get a bunch of pickled jalapeño peppers, slice them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds. Stuff each half with a small spoonful of the tuna salad. Done.

Squash is one of my favorite veggies, and they'll be in season soon. Raw, fried, baked... it's all good. This is one of my favorites:
30 oz. fresh thick sliced yellow squash
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/8 to 1/4 can chopped green chilies
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
salt & pepper
Parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients, except Parmesan cheese, together and put into greased baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for ~40 minutes.

i fond this on the web but never tryed it

Easy home-cured pastrami recipe
By Katie Bishop

Ingredients
1.8kg beef brisket (ask your butcher to remove the ‘cap’ muscle)
3 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tsp white peppercorns
1 tsp juniper berries
75g Maldon sea salt
4 tbsp light muscovado sugar
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsp pink peppercorns, crushed
Crusty bread, English mustard and gherkins, to serve
For smoking
200g rice
1 tbsp juniper berries, lightly crushed
3 fresh thyme sprigs
Method
1. With a very sharp knife, trim away any sinew and excess fat from the brisket, leaving just a thin covering of fat. Crush the coriander, black and white peppercorns and juniper in a pestle and mortar, then mix in the salt, sugar and garlic. Firmly massage the spice mixture all over the brisket. Push the meat into an extra-large freezer bag, keeping it flat if possible. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and seal well. Chill for at least 24 hours (or up to 48 hours), turning it over and massaging the meat every 4-6 hours or so.
2. Remove the meat from the bag, discarding any liquid. Shake off the excess spices. Scatter the pink peppercorns over a plate and press the meat into them to coat evenly.
3. Line a large, deep roasting tin with 4 layers of foil. Top with the smoking ingredients, followed by a wire rack, then the beef. Cover the whole tin tightly with 4 layers of foil.
4. Place your home-made smoker across 2 hobs over a very low heat. Allow to gently smoke for 2½ hours. The trick is to use a heavy-based roasting tin as this will happily smoke on the hob without catching. Remove from the heat but leave in the smoker until completely cooled.
5. Slice the pastrami. Serve with some English mustard, sliced gherkins and good-quality bread.

Last edited:
I wonder how these compare with the oriental ones you get at Dim Sum? I know those are sure good and they do look pretty much the same. Maybe I'll stop in at Little Portugal on my way home today. ;)

They probably use some butter in Portugal, I can't quite get into the 100% lard pastry.

I see the recipe calls for 100% butter (yum!)

Last edited:
Smoked Cream Cheese

Next time you smoke something, (on the smoker that is), put a block of cream cheese, on foil, on the cool side of the smoker. You don't want it to melt. Wait for it to get the nice brown smoke color. Serve as an appetizer spread with your favorite cracker. Very simple, and amazingly good.

I wonder how these compare with the oriental ones you get at Dim Sum? I know those are sure good and they do look pretty much the same. Maybe I'll stop in at Little Portugal on my way home today. ;)

nahhh nothing compares to the portuguese ones , there is a variety of these you can only buy at a small coofee in Lisbon " Pasteis de Belem " that is even better but the recepie is a well guarded secret

the key to the portuguese is not only the sauce but the flaky pastry too

Last edited:
Cod fish (bacalhau) À Braz De Hackney

Bacalhau à braz (alternate spelling Bacalhau à brás), or cod with scrambled eggs and fried potatoes is one of the traditional dishes of Portugal. The Portuguese have 1001 ways to cook bacalhau, but this is one of the best of their recipes and quite unlike anything we eat in Britain. In Portugal the dish is prepared with salt fish because, with the principal fishing grounds in the North Atlantic and a relatively inefficient distribution system, it is not possible to get fresh enough cod to the typical home. If you have access to fresh cod, as I do, then use it.

this recipe was cooked under the direction of four women from the Minho (north of Porto) and it tasted absolutely delicious.

Aidan Brooks: Trainee Chef - Recipes: Bacalhau À Braz De Hackney

Attachments

• braz.jpg
    braz.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Ingredients
- 4 piece (s) of cod
- 6 dl milk
- 1 Onion (s) cut (s) in slices
- oil
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 kg potato (s)
- Nutmeg
- 2 dl creams
- grated cheese
- Salt
- Pepper

Method
(4 persons)
Time of preparation: 50 min

Preparation:

Cook the pieces of cod in milk. Cut the onion in thin slices and fry in oil until the onion be soft and clear. Drain the cod and undo in splinters and join at the onion and let fry slowly. Then add the milk, where we cooked the cod, and sprinkle with flour, and stir. Stirring from time to time until thicken. Peel and cut the potatoes in cubes and fries in a hot oil, but attention, we want the potatoes more cooked that fried. Then join the potatoes to the cod, and add the salt, pepper and the nutmeg. Put this prepared in a tray of oven and spreads in a top with the creams and grated cheese. Let be gratin for a few minutes.

Jamie Oliver | Member Recipes | Risotto | "Bacalhau com Natas" - "Cod with cream"

cream.jpg "Cod with cream"

Last edited:
Portuguese Bifana (pork butt)

Bifana Pork
What You Need:

1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped garlic
½ cup white wine
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons Piri Piri or other Spicy sauce
2 bay leaves
1½ pounds boneless pork butt, sliced 1/8 inch thick

How To Cook:
1. Crush the garlic with the salt and mix with the wine. Marinate the pork in this mixture for 1 hour.

2. Heat a large frying pan and add the butter to fry. Add the Piri Piri, bay leaves, and any remaining marinade.

3. Bring to a simmer. Add the pork. Cover and cook until the pork is tender .

To Serve: 4

They are ready to be served on bread with mustard or on the plate with an egg and fries and black olives

bifana.jpg

if you want to see a happy portuguese give him " bifana " and beer :D

Last edited: