The food thread

We call that Branzino here I think, it is good. My one trip to Zurich they put us up at the Dolder Waldhaus and I made sure for dinner I had the local trout au blue. I don't want to think how much that stay would cost now.

Swiss prices are eye-watering but you have to bear in mind that if you flip burgers at McDonalds in Switzerland you are making almost exactly the average US earnings (around $45k) and total income tax is just under 20%.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Swiss prices are eye-watering but you have to bear in mind that if you flip burgers at McDonalds in Switzerland you are making almost exactly the average US earnings (around $45k) and total income tax is just under 20%.

The range from recent data for senior EE's there is CHF 75,093 - CHF 140,939 totally comparable to here. The average right now is ~$110,000 with folks like Microsoft pushing that up, and once you navigate the tax mess the net total burden is around 25% even at the top. I freely admit the total range here is sad for some, companies have tried to establish things like an absolute max compensation range of 5:1 and failed, in some notable cases the base pay was kept that way and when it came time to sell out the principles took all the money and everyone else got sausage.

So we get "value meals" (what a joke) for nothing.

Last edited:
No idea what highly qualified jobs in Switzerland pay, I researched burger flippers specifically for a discussion on another forum.

As for income tax it seems quite simple there: 11% federal plus 6-8% depending on the Canton you live in. Nothing is tax deductible according to wiki unless you own your home. In that case instead of property tax they work out how much that place would bring if you were to rent it out and add that sum to your income.

Wiki could be wrong of course but so far I found it to be highly reliable except for info on individual people.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
No idea what highly qualified jobs in Switzerland pay, I researched burger flippers specifically for a discussion on another forum.

Just saying that if a line cook in fast food restaurant makes 1/2 that of the average highly trained engineer there is probably some social engineering at work, and best not to get into politics. BTW...

The price of a Big Mac meal is now $17.19 in Zurich.

I would go for the mutton Mac in India for $1.54. :)

As a Radio-TV-Serviceman here you get 60 -70 K CHF a year with some luck, after age insurance and so on it will be 10 k lesser, so you have 50-60 K netto..
A small flat with 2,5 rooms in Zurich is 1,5k per month and up.
Buying price therefor at least 750'000.- CHF.:eek:
Health insurance with my 55 years is 0,5 k /month, taxes the same and more, depending on income and circumstances.
Dental service 45 min is 145.- CHF
Car service for Skoda is 190.-CHF/h, Mercedes 245.-/h or more.

Any more questions? :D

PS : @Scott W
Dolder rooms 350.-/day for the cheapest whatever, the diner menu in their gourmet restaurant is apx. 220.- or so if i am well informed, i never was there.
The owner invested some 100 Millions CHF. ( 600 Mil. if my memory serve me right) for the complete restauration of the Dolder Waldhaus.
But the view over Zurich from there is really fantastic, i just know that because sometimes i have to drive around there for transit.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
A small flat with 2,5 rooms in Zurich is 1,5k per month and up.
Buying price therefor at least 750'000.- CHF.:eek:

Not much different from here, condos are running $7000 a sq meter and I still help my daughter (in Milwaukee of all places) with $1100 a month for a studio.

The trip to Zurich was very special because I paid to bring my wife and they got us those accommodations because of that, the spa was wonderful.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I've been pan frying large pieces of salmon in the pan and it does taste rather delicious with that seared crispy edge on the salmon which just makes your mouth water.

Attachments

• 002-diyaudio.jpg
    002-diyaudio.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Eating some Coles sweet mustard pickle sandwiches with GF bread. It has a really nice taste to it that isn't at all tangy or bitter/acidic. Just a little tart and mostly sweet, very nice.

We also know someone who makes their own sweet mustard pickles but we haven't had a jar of it for a while.

Last edited:
I also had some fish recently which is a rather rare treat on my dinner table these days, smoked trout, yummy! :lickface:

Have to say for the past several years the quality of salmon has gone down the sewer, the type of feed they are served causes them to produce much less of the healthy omega 3 and more of other types of less healthy fats.
I have noticed the fat layer between the muscle layers is much thicker these days, two probable reasons are the salmon is gmo and fed with crap fodder, also when frying salmon the fat layer doesn't melt away as much but forms feta cheese like hard stuff, anything that doesn't melt in the frying pan is in my book to be equaled hardened trans-fat. :zombie:

Check out this video, I'm not sure what to make out of it, anyhow my own observations are, trout is better than salmon, at least the stuff we get from the shop.
Farmed Norwegian Salmon World’s Most Toxic Food (54m28s) - Youtube

Attachments

• smoked trout.jpg
    smoked trout.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
That reminds me of a piece of halibut my Wife fixed the other
night that was one of thee best meals of my life !

Yes a couple of years ago I lucked into a big piece of very fresh halibut and threw it on a very hot barbecue until just barely cooked through. Absolutely fantastic. I think halibut is my favourite fish to eat, but it is very hard to find good stuff and very expensive when you do. What have we done to our oceans, our fish stocks, and the people who made a living on them? Small scale inshore fisheries have been replaced by factory dragger/trawlers that employ fewer people and enrich corporations while selling us garbage and destroying marine ecosystems. Northern cod, once considered limitless, were fished to near extinction. Atlantic salmon are endangered and stocks dwindling, spawning returns disappearing from river after river.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Northern cod, once considered limitless, were fished to near extinction.

Had a piece of cod never frozen from a traditional New England independent fisherman and compared it to the flash frozen portion controlled stuff. How could anyone not notice the difference? Luckily here in Boston if you want to pay the money you can usually get cod, haddock, and stripped bass "right off the boat".