The food thread

simon - I've known Cal long enough that I think the portion control may be something new ;) - of course, the cumulative consumption of many small servings can getcha just as bad

One of my medical tests always comes back as if my kidneys are failing. Turns out the testing routine assumes I am a normal human (laughter here) of 140 pounds and 5' 9" tall. Putting in my correct weight of 200 pounds 6' 1" yields results that are almost perfect.

Looking around at an international airport spotting US folks is easy. We are all fat. Cal just lives too close to the border!

There is some evidence that the higher your healthy weight at retirement the longer you live. Also I forget the exact number but for every pound you carry above your healthy weight you loose about a week of life expectancy.

So as long as he shows pictures of moderate portion size I applaud those results.

I have in the past pointed out when his meals do not show a good balance of food selections.

Now for myself today breakfast was an ounce of smoked salmon and mineral water, out of bagels. Lunch was testing my egg salad on crackers with caviar. Over did it ate almost 20 of them, a 7.5 ounce coke, or the equivalent of 2 eggs and 1/2 ounce of them fish eggs. Dinner a 6" piece of beef sausage, spinach and an orange. Most of my liquid all day is water but I rarely get more than 6 glasses a day. Almost forgot the bowl of strawberries! (Just had to end with a good food description.)

Yes eating light before New Year's Eve. Tomorrow lamb in a loaf.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Hi Ed,
Correct, I don't do the baking around here. I'll have to ask if she uses convection or not.
The 4 ovens? Simple, the range is a dual, the OTR is a combo oven/microwave and the countertop unit.
And yes I agree, some people are so wasteful with food. :)

I'll bet that you will blow every breaker in the house if you turned them all on at once.

That or melt the power lines outside. wow!

New year's work has started...

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0_IMG_20171231_145209086.jpg
    0_IMG_20171231_145209086.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 173
Rocha. I wanted small ones.

They will be served with duck, the wine they cooked in providing the basis for the sauce.

Full menu btw:
- salmon tartare
- crumble of chicory and foie gras
- duck breast served with pears and roasted potatoes
- mango Tatin pie with frozen lemon zabaglione.

Last edited:
Nothing fancy here tonight, just lobsters with bread and salad (including potato salad). There will be 7 of us. Prices are high this year, my wife picked up the bugs from a road-side truck, they were >$8/lb and the 2-pounders were already gone. Pound and a half is enough for me anyway.

Back at Hanh's Dad's place for tonight. My BIL, a restaurant owner, has a full strip loin he is doing up while the rest of us add our bits. Hanh is making prawn and pulled pork dumplings in a starch dough. These will be boiled and have an accompanying sauce. Me? I haven't decided yet. I think I'll take little Bingo for a walk and think about it. Still 10 hours till the witching hour.

You might appreciate a story about the past. When the wine market was sane (70's) in an off vintage you could cook with a whole bottle of Chateau Pichon Lalande. The '73 was $40 a case and still an OK wine.
That's about 220 of today's dollars. A bit rich for my own blood to use as cooking wine (being a Jesuit and all that), but I can indeed see how it would be a good value.

Those poor pears got a cheap 4€ coteaux bourguignons to cook in. With the vanilla, cinnamon and other spices a better one would be wasted. Still next time I'll try something a bit more full bodied, like a wine from the Puglia region. Btw, the whole meal cost about 11€per guest, before wine. I'm pretty good at bargain hunting. ;)

Curious, genuine chicory or the Belgian variety ?
Our good old witloof. :)