The food thread

Duck wings, soy and chili based, hint of 5 spice. To be crisped later in the oven.
Beef tendon in a semi-sweet 5 spice simmer.
Yellow pea and red lentil soup in the back pot.
New stock underway from assorted mysterious sources.

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 105
Saturday we had dinner with one unexpected guest, so i grabbed i my well prepared satay moh out of the fridge, fried them without sticks and served some salad. The pinky sauce is very delicious, just some red onion, red chillies, rice vinegar, himalaya pink salt and a a little bit sugar, matches very well with satay.:cool:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    624.2 KB · Views: 44
Sunday dinner we went we Cal's Corned beef.
I had no pink curing salt and no ksoher salt,, so it looked not very special, taste was good to very good imho, but the texture not as soft as expected, maybe because it was only 1 kg meat, only 3 h simmering and wrong salt.
I will give another try later when i get affordable brisket, this was to much at 36 bucks per 1 kg.
I served it with my Rösti special, in the end we were happy :D

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    586.8 KB · Views: 59
Saturday we had dinner
Your pictures always make my mouth water.
Sunday dinner we went we Cal's Corned beef.
Glad you tried it. The recipe is wide open so you can fool around and see if you can improve on it.
Oh the pain, $4.99/lb. yesterday.
Yes $36/kg would put me off. Although beef is expensive here, last night we had slow cooked beef ribs at $2.99/lbs. Not too often they come in at that price. Each rib was close to a pound. I ate too many. :)

Jackfruit. <snip> one we have sitting in the sun for later.
The walls of the fruit began to soften and the smell through the skin was strong. Hanh cut 'er open and OMG, best one ever. Nice deep rich colour, very fragrant, and oh so sweet and juicy. Finally I find out what all the fuss is about. I ate so much last night my belly is still rumbling.

I have to go over to CHF for some "rosti" lessons. When mamselle and i took the young men to Switzerland for Easter 1992 it was a food much admired. Now will have to take the grand-daughters. This notwithstanding, just never seem to get it correct.

Brisket market collapses in price after St. Patrick's day! We sent the remains of the day to the two older grands.

Hi jackinnj

This one is very easy. Get 3- 4 potatoes, max apx 300-400 gramms total weight.
Use this kind which does not get so soft after cooking.
Peel and grate them. Add a flat teaspon salt, mix and cure for 20 minutes.
In the meantime get 2 red onions, peel and cut in small slices.
Get 20 grams parmigiano and grate.

After curing squeeze potatoes by hand to get the liquid almost out.
Add onions and parmigiano, mix by hand to become a loose pile.

Heat a pan at a scale of 6-7 of ten, add 1 one tb fully of Ghee or cooking butter and put your potatoes in. Form a nice round cake, dont press, and wait at least 10 min until you see it getting dark at the edge. Flip around ( you have to do some exercices before ;), and add 1 more tbs Ghee around the edge, shake the cake somewhat for ghee distribution.
After 10 min flip around again and then two times after 5 min.
After apx 30 minutes total the thing has only the half height but same size, the potatoes are brown and crispy outside and the onions darker like in the pic.
Done.
Combine what you like, we like some fried eggs sunny side up direct on the rösti and green salad side dish, other hot ham and salad, some sausage, just something with a good taste by its own to get a contrast.
With amount of salt you have to try to your own taste, it should have a slight salty taste, never sweet.
If you do like i said, 80 % of people are happy.
Another version you add 100 gramm of bacon bits, but somewhat lesser salt.:shhh:

Sorry, cannot answer your question but just have to make a comment on the stuff we had yesterday.

My wife had brought some recipies from USA when she had visited her daughter in Chicago. The theme in the papers were Hasselbacked potatoes and I reacted as the name of this kind of potatoes is very Swedish. Hasselbacken is a famous restaurant in Stockholm:
Hasselbacken

The potatoes are prepared by making deep slices almost through them and bake them in an oven. The kind we tried from the American papers was a kind where slices of parmesan cheese were stuffed in the cuts and butter mixed with crushed garlic, dried oregano, salt and pepper was smeared on top, and then baked.
Yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_1379.JPG
    Resize of IMG_1379.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 74
  • Resize of IMG_1380.JPG
    Resize of IMG_1380.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 75