The food thread

The Russian deli in Lyndhurst OH -- they were out of the slim-jim kabanosi but seem to have everything else:

Attachments

• IMG_1106.JPG
    IMG_1106.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_1107.JPG
    IMG_1107.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 145
The Russian deli in Lyndhurst OH -- they were out of the slim-jim kabanosi but seem to have everything else:

Talking of which, we were surprised to see a Russian/Ukrainian food mart near Coulee City, WA.

And when we are in Chicago, we try to eat at Starij Lvov in Ukrainian Village. They serve a small buffet of typical Russian/Ukrainian food that really feels homemade. Nothing fance like from 5-star French cuisine (little on the plate, much on the bill).

As Sicily was mentioned before (by me), I must say that the Sicilian maffia has been much disarmed and, as before, tourists were a great income to, so tourists were left alone by criminals.
And talking about maffia, we spent a night at a B&B just outside Corleone. We had supper with the (dirty rich) family, that propably had had a good time when the mobsters ruled Sicily. The food was very taste and not complicated at all. I think it was veal and various vegetables and some table wine. Nothing fancy, but very tasty.

On our way to Noto (also Sicily) we stopped at a farm that had night guests (B&B sort of - Agriturism) and a small restaurant. We had beef of minced meet and when asked what flavour we wanted we accepted lemon. The farmer went out to his lemon trees and picked a lemon for our food ...

I have to look for photos ...

I split the batch with 1/4 of it being smoked brats.

I just finished taking the last of the brats off the smoker.

I think I made 100 brats today, plus some left over meat mix that I'm smoking.

If I eat a brat a day, I'm good for three months plus.

Ron, how do you get that crumb? Mine is always fine and dense.

Just like music, we prefer food from all four corners of our planet (sorry, eight corners - we believe the Earth, actually is a cube, not a sphere).
Yesterday, we had Persian chicken: Chicken legs fried with onion and garlic, then left to simmer in rich chicken broth with lime juice and saffron, cumin, salt and pepper and finally topped with pomegranate and lime zest.
Served with rice and Italian wine.

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 103
Yowza :yikes:

(I'd starve or go broke in CH)

I was surprised even in Jamaica, they were ~$7 a lb. stiff compared to other various bits and pieces. Jerk oxtail and curry goat were always good but I couldn't get past the very overcooked liver at breakfast.

"Dominates anything you add it to." I bought the "Not for sale outside of Jamaica and the Caribbean" version, I wonder what that means.

Attachments

• Ram-Goat-Mannish-Soup_2.jpg
    Ram-Goat-Mannish-Soup_2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Could be that for international sales they have to remove the brain from the head.

Brains are generally freely available here again, I was wondering about the "naughty bits" but they also are available in most Asian markets. I was told that in parts of Europe anything containing spinal nerve tissue was banned for a while but the restrictions have been relaxed.

Cows with BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathy) carry a prion, concentrated in brain and spinal cord tissue.

A prion is a protein that can transform it's shape in various ways, enabling it to hook-up to regular (body-own) proteins and turn them into prions as well.
Sort of a decepticon without wheels (or DNA).

In humans, infection with high levels of prions causes a variant of Creutzfeldt Jacob disease. vCJD is comparable to Alzheimer's, but a lot worse as people of any age can get it.

(The 'new' EU rule, don't feed cows a cow. Some time ago, cheap bovine feed imported from South America contained traces of animal tissue)

Last edited: