The food thread

Pineapple has no business being anywhere near a pizza, except on a separate dish afterward for dessert.
Friday night beers, 30 min delivery Supreme Pizza including pineapple....what's not to love ?.

FWIW, she loves arugula, but will turn up her snout at lettuce.
Interesting how dogs (and cats) closely sniff garden/lawn plants/grasses before deciding to take a nip, or not......that might be a lesson right there.

Dan.

Last edited:
My dog loves baby carrots. He has this habit of taking things he really likes (rawhides, soft meaty chews, etc.) to a piece of carpet and eating them or chewing them there. He does this with carrots.

He will pick green beans right off the plants. Won't eat popcorn unless it has butter on it.

My neighbors used to have an apple tree and the deer in the area would leave "applesauce piles" on my lawn. He loved to roll in this stuff and it was a mess...

My dog loves pickled herring, but carrots he spits right out at my feet.

Back in the late 60s in Ireland I 'acquired' an English Pointer as a rescue dog...she had lived feral all that spring and summer around a couple of local farms.

Well we began to notice that a fruit bowl in the dining room was being robbed...50% per go. Eventually we caught her in the act; we also found that she could wrap her paws around spherical door knobs, twist and open. She had obviously got shooting experience but tended to devour anything I shot before I could rescue it. Despite her criminal activity she was a lovable rogue.

PS to the dogs and salmon pic:

Those dogs belong to my fishing buddy...he often has up to 5 miniature dachshunds with him: they or the terrier chewed a good, new, fishing boot - now that really does look to be a dogs' dinner!

Last edited:
Another neighbor and apple tree story...
My dog used to like eating fallen apples from the tree. My neighbor didn't like all the critters they attracted so he cleaned them up often. My dog found a fresh fallen one and ate it in front of us. My neighbor thought this was funny so he picked one and gave it to my dog, Flash. Flash accepted it and walked around (seemingly awkwardly) until he found a hiding place. He pawed a niche in some taller grass near my shed, then placed the apple there and adjusted the grass to hide it again. The next day he went back and grabbed that apple ;) Wolf-style food-caching behavior ;) His apparent awkwardness was just scanning around looking for a hide.

Last edited:
Our Irish snob eats apple and grapes, provided they're skinned, no exceptions.

The British gave the world piccalilly relish.
My dog made me decide to return the favor by from this moment on, offering every UK citizen a Brexfit sandwich.

(I'm still waiting for the release of Bottle Cocking, the flick that will send Mr Taber to his terroir grave, sponsored by the state of O)

Attachments

• FishandHicks.JPG
    FishandHicks.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Beef Carpaccio next. Eye of round.

I may do some of it Alton Brown style where you slice it a little thicker and then pound it.

Sauce:
Oyster sauce
Lime juice
Worcester
Tomato juice
Raw sugar

Dinner tonight.

Right now, it's time for a big ol' glass 'o' rum, a Jimmy Buffett tune, a dog walk to meet the Mrs.at the train and then some relax time watching the Olympics.

Carpaccio last night was really good.

Today as I wandered the market, there was some beef staring at me.
I says 'you eye of round?'
Meat says no.
I says then how can you be staring at me.
Meat says shut up, take me home.

Meat was being kind of a jerk so I'll have to return the favour
Salt
Sugar
Black Pepper
That's it.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 110