The food thread

Seems the server lost most of my post during maintenance!

Either way I wouldn't try casu marzu.

May be because I am not a cheese fan.

But may be because the 'cheese' is nearly liquid because the maggots poop liquifies it and one is supposed to eat the maggots alive with the 'cheese'. Seems human stomach acid is not necessarily strong enough to kill them which can lead to health problems when they start boring through the intestinal wall.

Seems the server lost most of my post during maintenance!

Either way I wouldn't try casu marzu.

May be because I am not a cheese fan.

But may be because the 'cheese' is nearly liquid because the maggots poop liquifies it and one is supposed to eat the maggots alive with the 'cheese'. Seems human stomach acid is not necessarily strong enough to kill them which can lead to health problems when they start boring through the intestinal wall.

Aye, but then we do have teeth for good reason-maggots "may"(sounds dubious to me!) survive the stomach acid-but not being masticated

Well wiki puts it this way:
"Larvae, if eaten alive (accidentally or otherwise), can pass through the digestive system alive (human stomach acids do not usually kill them) and live for some time in the intestines. This is referred to as an enteric myiasis. Cheese fly larvae are a leading cause of myiasis in humans, and are the insect most frequently found in the human intestine.[10] The larvae can cause serious intestinal lesions as they attempt to bore through the intestinal walls. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, and bloody diarrhea. Living and dead larvae may pass in the stool."

The maggots can also launch themselves for a distance of 6 inches when disturbed.

And we had our salmon pan fried (fiercely so the outside browned and the inside was almost raw) in butter.

Reserved the fish then squeezed a lemon into the pan, with 1/2 glass of Rosé, and fish stock. Reduced until glazed, added a thumb of butter and poured over the fish.

Served with sautéed baby spinach and a small mound of basmati rice.

Not bad ....

What? Kimchee is great! Of course I also like poi, so that may tell you something.

I was on a flight from London to Milan (continuing to Lagos) back in the early 1990's -- biz class -- the fellow behind me had brought his own lunch -- kimchee. When he uncorked the thing almost the entire cabin cleared out!

The other time I was on this flight the stew made the passenger with DIYLunch put it back in the container.

...and some wonder why bankers have to be paid the big bucks :)

from the Houston Chronicle:
Only in Texas: Dallas police are on the lookout for a man who could face assault charges for throwing a frozen armadillo at a 57-year-old woman near Dallas.
The woman, My Fox Dallas-Fort Worth reports, met the man in a parking lot to purchase the armadillo carcass, which she planned to eat.
During a fight over its price, he hit her with the animal in the leg and the chest, leaving bruises on her body.
According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Texas law prohibits the sale of live armadillos, but a few Texans still go after their meat.
Those people who eat armadillo meat will find that thorough cooking should make the meat noninfectious (of mycobacterial leprosy). However, the greatest hazard of being infected (if any) may be encountered during cleaning and dressing of the animals.
Eating armadillos is not widespread in Texas today, although it has been popular among south-of-the-border residents for more than a hundred years. Many Texans, especially during the depression years of the 1930s, dined on the “Hoover Hog,” referring to the armadillo as “poor man’s pork.”

Ok -- is this weird. I don't want to cook, so I russel up some ground pork and petite onions. Then when they are sauted, dump them on top of the cheapo raman style noodles. Boiling water and eat. Come on --Dont tell me you havent done this. :) Now back to armadilo talk.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 114
For some reason, after reading this I started to picture Granny Clampett in my mind.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did you have claims on this first?!"; as she starts to shovel up some roadkill.:D:D

Peace,

Dave

from the Houston Chronicle:
Only in Texas: Dallas police are on the lookout for a man who could face assault charges for throwing a frozen armadillo at a 57-year-old woman near Dallas.
The woman, My Fox Dallas-Fort Worth reports, met the man in a parking lot to purchase the armadillo carcass, which she planned to eat.
During a fight over its price, he hit her with the animal in the leg and the chest, leaving bruises on her body.
According to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, Texas law prohibits the sale of live armadillos, but a few Texans still go after their meat.
Those people who eat armadillo meat will find that thorough cooking should make the meat noninfectious (of mycobacterial leprosy). However, the greatest hazard of being infected (if any) may be encountered during cleaning and dressing of the animals.
Eating armadillos is not widespread in Texas today, although it has been popular among south-of-the-border residents for more than a hundred years. Many Texans, especially during the depression years of the 1930s, dined on the “Hoover Hog,” referring to the armadillo as “poor man’s pork.”

What? Kimchee is great! Of course I also like poi, so that may tell you something.

Poi doesn't look too bad to me.

Funnily enough watched an Australian cooking show while in China and saw a cake made with taro-looked truely awful and thanks to the internet you can see it here:

Steamed Taro Cake - Recipes - Poh's Kitchen

Sorry, but anything with "cake" in the tittle and served as shown would make me think "sweet" not savory!

The wasabi icecream and taro coated duck did look good though!

My trip to Austin to visit SY spilled over into the culinary regime. It’s fall and the CSA starts to deliver things like elephant kale that are not necessarily crowd pleasers. This dish was way better than it should have been. In fact the leftovers disappeared before I got home.
Blanch enough kale to make about 4 cups drained and coarsely chopped, make sure it stays nice and bright green. In the same water blanch about 2/3 that amount of carrots cubed down to about ¼ inch and a whole head of garlic until just tender. Take about 3 tbs of butter and a good tbs of Madras Curry (from Savory Spices in Austin) and the garlic squeezed out of its skin and mashed , sauté it up in a non-stick pan until the flavors are developed. Add the kale and carrots back and heat through. Finish with some finely ground million year old Himalayan salt.

Forgive the horrible photo.

Attachments

• kale.jpg
    kale.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 99
You can keep all the "kol" vegetables and their derivatives "green" with a bit of bicarb in the water -- raising the pH -- don't you remember using red cabbage water as a pH indicator?

I usually don't do that stuff, the more work standing over the pot and the more pots you dirty the better the food tastes :). The acid balance is a good point, I might add lemon juice to some of these dishes but not here, the kale has some natural acidity balanced by the carrots sweetness.

Last edited: