The food thread

I often have ratatouille-n for breakfast or lunch during summer/veggie months.
A sliced baguette, smeared with goat butter and topped by ratatouille, is hard to beat imo.

First wife who has Poland origins used to soak her baguette bread + camembert in the coffee for breakrfast ! I lost my faith in the human being exactly at this moment !... as psychanalism : to massive conséquences about interprétations !

Faiselle at the morning, vaisselle in the evening :eek: ! It should be a sign of the end of man of earth !

If so, It's the moment to get a croco skin to the casing of my DAC ! And eat some pacific sea turtle at breakfast with sharcs fins and some salt rhino horn for my coffee ! Nevertheless I putted some hope in my new pan... Life is too hard... Could we imagine a standalone breakfast menu at the United Nations a morning before a work session ?

----------------
Play Ping-Pong

Last edited:
here is a legfal drug in Japan made with beans, coco cream : daifuku mochi is the generic name, I don't know the exact one: sort of white delicious elastic sponge cake with this yellow coco cream Inside or red beans cream! Full of sugar & calories, a drug : when you putt your finger on it it's like this portuges little fresch cakes (pasteis de natas), you have to eat 4 or five minimum! It Can swap the cornflakes the morning while it's not a morning meal ! Beware of the jeans size after few weeks !

Just to eat some fresch (there is frozen ones for fridges too) pasteis de natas or daifuku mochi I would just like to be captain Kirck and teleport...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Mochi is really easy to make at home. However getting the filling inside is less easy.

@Cal: Will try the chinese supermarket locally at the weekend. Need some more Tofu anyway. Only annoying part is that they only do seitan as mock duck, which just looks too duck like for SWMBO to eat. I would make it myself but some googling suggests the chances of failure are high!

Mayo isn't that bad with fries honnestly... but tartar sauce is much better. It's basically a mayo base + a mix of finely chopped gherkins, shallots, capers, chive, parsley, tarragon, hard boiled eggs. And a touch of mustard or tabasco.

Ketchup on fries otoh is just: yuck.
To each his own, but whats in those chunks? And what made it taste tarter? Yesterdays beer fest?

For Father's Day my sister-in-law gave me a copy of Jacques Pepin "More Fast Food My Way" -- put down your sybaritic sensibilities Escoffier -- this is a nice place to start for good quick preparations.

We've been binge-watching that series this past week. And coincidentally, my wife got us about a dozen of his books, including that one. I just watch him in total awe.

Last sunday it rained like every sunday here ;) , so there was plenty of time to do Ossobuco and a simple salad with some pumpkin seed oil, peanut oil and aceto Balsamico.
This time i added a Gremolata like Scott Wurcer recommended, the result was absolute delicious. The meat was from a veal and the texture can not be better IMHO. Also the sauce with the veggies was as it should be, done with homebrewed chicken stock.

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    613.2 KB · Views: 107
Yesterday i tried my first time a pork belly Shanghai style with rice.
I never could try this dish before, so no reference for taste. I think the pork needs more simmering time for a softer texture and the ingredients i have to balance better and reduce the amount of chinese star anise and the brown sugar.
I will do that again of course, its tasteful, cheap and easy to make, just time consuming.

As a side dish Pimentos Padron, they are available now sometimes since a few weeks at 17 bucks per Kilo. Just deep fried in olive oil and topped with french see salt, always a delight and nearly impossible to do something wrong:D

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 73
Yesterday i tried my first time a pork belly Shanghai style with rice.

Glad you liked the gremolata. Pork belly Shanghai style with abalone from last trip. This was served over a steaming pot of mixed grains (health spa food after all :)). This was a new restaurant aimed at young Chinese foodies interested in local organic ingredients.

Attachments

• food7.jpg
    food7.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 76
I've been flipping the pork Butt every day while it is curing.

I pulled a couple of racks of ribs out of the freezer to thaw as well.

I might smoke some salmon since the smoker will be going for 16-18Hrs. It will take two charges of coals, and two charges of apple wood to run the entire time.

We have invited some old friends from when I lived in my last house. My son and daughter had friends that used to hang around the house and I was kind of a surrogate father to some of them. It would be good to have everyone back together again.

Pulled Pork BBQ
BBQ Ribs
Hot Dogs (For the Grand kids if they don't like BBQ)
Baked Beans
Macaroni Salad
Cole Slaw
Potato Salad

Soda
Fruit Juice
Iced Tea
Beer

???

I don't know if I'll get any Fireworks this year.