The food thread

I actually prefer cooking fried or scrambled eggs on fairly high heat. The reason: the eggs hit the hot fat and immediately start to cook, before they can touch the pan. As a result they don't stick, even in a stainless pan. I also like my scrambled eggs a little firmer than Mr. Ramsey makes them.

What about industrial cattle farms?

More and more horrible and dirty (and if you saw here the news about slaughter, they succeed to do worst than the ritual slaughters in some place... )

- The good food beef of South America is gone for bad industrials closed catles
- The good expensive japoneese beef : idem, but of course you don't know what you buy ! It's more and more Strange as this beef race is now made in France in biologicals farmers (just three farms if I remember)

- it cames very easy to introduce clones for reproduction behavior all other the world ! So no matter where you live it becommes really hard to know what you eat really if you don't know yourself a Producer, hopping he doesn't sell you **** instead the good quality !

The worst salmon I eat in my life was in Chii Patagonia : it growed in an aquatic farm and was very bad.... they don't know what to invent anymore all other the world to make bad food today !

Here we have a Pork crisis for many reasons (lower costs in Deutschland, etc) : but the main is 95% are making ***** and consumers are fed up with it so don't buy it anymore !

iko

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2008
If we want to avoid teflon cooking instrument, how would you cook fried eggs today ?

(avoiding the good black frying pan of Grand'Ma we never clean for omlett I mean)

I assume this question to be for my britain neighboors....

A well maintained cast iron pan with a little (very little needed) lard and the egg floats. Can make perfect sunny side up on mine.

I actually prefer cooking fried or scrambled eggs on fairly high heat. The reason: the eggs hit the hot fat and immediately start to cook, before they can touch the pan. As a result they don't stick, even in a stainless pan. I also like my scrambled eggs a little firmer than Mr. Ramsey makes them.

I use butter which has a smoking point of 300F. Other oils will go to 400F. I find at high temperatures there is not as much control over the finished result.

A well maintained cast iron pan with a little (very little needed) lard and the egg floats. Can make perfect sunny side up on mine.

And if you want over easy just cover it with a lid and you don't need to flip it.

I had no idea there were so many as good or better than peanut oil. Are they readily available and cheep enough?

Olive pomace oil

238°C

460°F

74% monosaturated, high in Omega 9

Extra light olive oil

242°C

468°F

74% monosaturated, high in Omega 9

Rice Bran Oil

254°C

490°F

21:1, Good source of vitamin E & antioxidants

Soybean oil

257°C

495°F

8:1 (most are GMO)

Refined Safflower oil

266°C

510°F

133:1 (74% Omega 9)

Avocado oil

271°C

520°F

12:1, 70% monosaturated, (68% Omega-9 fatty acids)
High in vitamin E.

Coconut oïl :eek: you wnt to die from stroke !

As for the oïl with too many Omega6... not good !

Duck grease ! Better than Pork one (for health I mean, for taste I will not judge, both are good) !

Vegetable oïl in butter package : just flee ! (for health); butter : very good for the taste, very good for the stroke as well ! (I use it not often, but sure make a good food while a little "typé" !).

Olive oïl can be boiled... not good for all receips !

Not boiled : take this one : Château d'Estoublon with salads ! A nectar !

oh yes we all remember that happend in India and one day in Italia if I'm coorect when some bought food oïl in the street !

Which we don't too much understand is why with time olive oïl 'is" (should) be better than Colza for instance ? (while Colza has more Omega3 and less O6 if i'm correct)

Complex things as we know the bad and good cholsterols is too parodic (motly made to simplify and easier to sell medics, all the statines !)!

premium cold pressure olive oïl stays good ! Colza as well ! What about Japan, one of the lowest country for stroke if not the best ! Complex, complex ! In meditarean food, olive oils is boiled in many plates, in another way it's too much used !

In France, the aera where there are less strokes than Japan can envy eat a lot of duck grease and fat food (but not only beef, pork...)

Ah the eggs : not more tha 6 per week says my doctor... who is fater than I am !