The food thread - Page 242 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2013, 10:15 PM   #2411
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Bad news for you: if it's not teosinte, your corn is genetically modified. Beefsteaks as well. None have the same genome as the wild type, and all were altered via human manipulation.
Old 21st August 2013, 10:26 PM   #2412
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post
Thank Monsanto. It's the gene manipulation.....
No genetically modified corn or tomatoes for us... Silver queen corn and beefsteak as well as Roma tomatoes from my favorite farm stand. The corn is eaten the day it's picked and We freeze enough tomatoes to make sauce until next year.[/QUOTE]

Silver Queen was around at least 50yr. ago it is an F1 hybrid but I know SY does not want to differentiate. BTW a nice fat worm in the tip proves that it is safe to eat. Our farmer got some flak so I wrote him a note that he repeated in the newsletter almost verbatim. If the worm is healthy it's good food and he only eats the dry little kernels at the tip anyway.

SY, maybe smeone should develop an accelerated life test for humans.
Old 21st August 2013, 10:46 PM   #2413
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post

SY, maybe smeone should develop an accelerated life test for humans.
I'm apparently living it.
Old 22nd August 2013, 12:35 AM   #2414
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Bad news for you: if it's not teosinte, your corn is genetically modified. Beefsteaks as well. None have the same genome as the wild type, and all were altered via human manipulation.
How dare you cloud this discussion with indisputable facts!

Yes, I was aware of that while researching what varieties I could plant. It would just be horrible if they decided to sweeten it. The Peruvian variety also is more starchy and the sweetness is much less than yellow corn.

Yes, the ancient peoples of South and Central America were quite clever. Starvation is a great motivator, I suppose. Teosinte is probably not that palatable..and least by photos it doesn't appear to be.
Old 22nd August 2013, 01:23 AM   #2415
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
Genetically modified foods (GM foods, or biotech foods) are foods produced from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), specifically, genetically modified crops. GMOs have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering techniques.

The third type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

I could be wrong(I often am) or just naive but one seems worse than the other to me.
Old 22nd August 2013, 02:14 AM   #2416
diyAudio Member

While I wouldn't say they were equal, those descriptions don't tell me enough to judge "worse."
Quote:
If the worm is healthy it's good food and he only eats the dry little kernels at the tip anyway.
We must have different moths here. These little buggers will eat a trail down the ear. But they don't really eat much, and I guess you could gather 'em up and use 'em for tacos.
Old 22nd August 2013, 02:38 AM   #2417
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanc View Post

I could be wrong(I often am) or just naive but one seems worse than the other to me.
There's more to it than that, including traditional methods of propagation of fortuitous mutations, selection, interspecific breeding, horizontal gene transfer... In any case, older methods of altering the genome are blunt and imprecise, modern methods are focused and much more precise, predictable, and efficient. Result is fewer health hazards, far higher agricultural efficiency (meaning massive reductions in famine and disease, as well as lower rates of nutritional deficiencies), reduced use of pesticides, and the correlative increase in life expectancy.

Food snobs can continue to cherish organic heirloom produce with its production inefficiencies, while mass agriculture feeds the world. We are truly in a golden age.
Old 22nd August 2013, 03:49 AM   #2418
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

I grow organic but select liberally from non-organic sections at the market. What a mess I am!

Dump avocado into the big mix. Plants just love to fool around and mix their genes. Keeping it all straight and pure is a big headache. Isn't that what led to the Irish Potato Famine?
Old 22nd August 2013, 07:32 AM   #2419
lolo is offline lolo  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
We are truly in a golden age.
well.. Vision of a possible future: only one variety of each vegetable/fruit/animal all over the planet.. and no more Cote-Rotie for you.

we are trully in a golden age, but the best is yet to come..
Old 22nd August 2013, 08:32 AM   #2420
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo View Post
well.. Vision of a possible future: only one variety of each vegetable/fruit/animal all over the planet..
Anything is possible, of course, but the trend is in the other direction.

Hide this!Advertise here!