The food thread

layered pus cake -

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

CWVNvJoUwAARW_d.jpg

```````````````````````````````````````````````

random off topic zone - shows us how its done -

CWVJpSaU4AARlfW.jpg

Last edited:
Now that's funny, the Jains are my gold standard of dietary restrictions,................

I know a Jain; a classic camera dealer in N.London. One of the nicest guys you could meet. He likes the indigenous English except for the fact that they are "always fighting". I have had food in his house and found nothing strange about the taste appearance or texture.....no mayo own the table though.

Food, yes?

I don't know about you guys but I was the poorest 'rich kid' I've ever known. I had a pool, tennis court, shuffle board, basketball area, a view to die for, a summer cottage, a winter cottage and lots of fun recreational stuff growing up. I also had an allowance that topped out at $5 CAD per week meaning I didn't have money to do anything even though I lived the 'high life' according to those who didn't really know the story. The reason I'm saying this is because I think my stay-at-home Mom felt the same restrictions. Dad was not what you call charitable. We used to eat a lot of food that, back then was free from the butcher. A lot of this involved bones. A bag of chicken wings was free if you bought a chicken, etc.

One dish I remember was Dinosaur Bones. These are pork neck bones that Mom would roast for hours and then top with a BBQ style sauce and you would gnaw away at these things until you were full. I enjoyed them a lot, and I make them to this day.

Yesterday, I was at the butcher and I saw beef neck bones. Not seen them before so I bought a big ol' bag full for a-dollar-something a pound.

Seasoned lightly, 450ºF for 15 minutes then 275º for a few hours in a moist enviro, then sauced and broiled. I have to say the meat on these is as good as any other part of the animal. I just kept chewing away until bedtime came around and then had to shower because I had made a right mess of myself but hey it was one of those things that as a foodie, you have to come out of the closet and tell someone sometimes.

My name is Cal and I love 'peasant' food.

Cal, most of my favorite dishes would all be considered peasant foods. I'm no high brow, and didn't grow up with that kind of cuisine (my mom is an excellent cook, no less!). Just love "simple" food done well.*

First date with my now-girlfriend: a pearl barley minestrone (or close to it) using the scraps off of a beef rib roast that my roommate's parents bought (and I cooked!), along with some pan-browned zucchini, eggplant, carrots and far too many onions. Broth made from pressure cooking the rib bones. Simple, rustic, and incredibly good.

* Reminds me that I look forward to finishing my degree and allowing myself a chance to enjoy slow food with friends, as Scott has alluded to a few times recently.
** This one's here just to annoy Jacco. :D