The food thread - Page 192 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2013, 03:32 PM   #1911
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Could hardly tell you're from Wisconsin. The state motto: "Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air" (1)

Speaking of saffron -- basmati + saffron + decorticated cardamon -- wonderful.

(1) -- originally heard on "Wait, Wait, don't tell me".
When I grew up there was only industrial cheddar as marginally real cheese, mostly land of Kraft Velveeta and white or orange American.

That reminds me of how fond I am of the highly perfumed spices, galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, keffir lime leaves, FRESH chervil, tarragon, basil, more?

Rava Kesari - Indian Indian pudding - semolina pudding with cardamon.
Old 20th May 2013, 03:53 PM   #1912
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
f****** poison me
A chef friend and former collegue referred to shouting and humiliating as ''an investment in one's future''.
Perfectionism and hot temper often go hand in hand, in particular for chefs, I've only met one top chef who combined culinary expertise, with delegating talent, and total self-restraint.
(on a pic here with his wife Claudia, also a former collegue : Inter Scaldes | Home Have their own heli pickup service, but fortunately I live only 50 miles up. )

A decade and a half ago, I first saw Mr Ramsay perform in his restaurant kitchen on TV, also the last occasion, more interested in other media show cases. Billy Connolly, if I'm in the mood for profanities with a Scottish accent.
On and Off the web, I'm rather impervious to cursing, shouting and name-calling, but more intrigued by the highly intelligent & gentle.
Mr Ramsay has serious (ego) drive, yet doubtful he'd be in for the long run, without serious network cash flow, as goes for others.
(despite better background & breeding, ashamed to admit I outclass GR by a De Niro's 'Max Cady' or two, once I lose my temper)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Janissie.JPG (94.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by jacco vermeulen; 20th May 2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 20th May 2013, 11:27 PM   #1913
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

That's an odd picture Jacco. Does he want to look taller? As for bad temper...it shows a lack of control, an impulsive personality. My mother is crazy so I really know what bad temper is about. I got kicked, punched, and slapped in my early days.

I say **** to all of you - angry people.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:15 AM   #1914
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Could hardly tell you're from Wisconsin. The state motto: "Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air" (1)

Speaking of saffron -- basmati + saffron + decorticated cardamon -- wonderful.

(1) -- originally heard on "Wait, Wait, don't tell me".
to combine the above, saffron, orange blossom and cardamon icecream is quite excellent too. I love spices in deserts.

Quote:
When I grew up there was only industrial cheddar as marginally real cheese, mostly land of Kraft Velveeta and white or orange American.

That reminds me of how fond I am of the highly perfumed spices, galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, kaffir-lime (ftfy) leaves, FRESH chervil, tarragon, basil, more?

Rava Kesari - Indian Indian pudding - semolina pudding with cardamon.
galangal... it has to be in with other strong spices in a paste for me, too much like cough medicine otherwise. Star Anise is another one for that group and Vanilla Bean and of course Cinnamon

the semolina pudding reminds me of cheap/free weekend banquets at the Harri-Krishna indoctrination center, chanting, hashish and nitrous oxide ahh the teenage years

Last edited by qusp; 21st May 2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 21st May 2013, 01:12 AM   #1915
diyAudio Member

Saturday's dinner, based on a Thai coconut and spice broth. Small hard shell clams and razor clams with squid ink and plain linguini.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thai.jpg (111.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 21st May 2013, 01:17 AM   #1916
diyAudio Member

Remembrance of days past. 500g of malossol osetra for New Years Eve 1981. I don't want to think what the current value is. This was the party that ended our group, the hosts wife decided that we had conjured satan the debauchery was so intense.

It now contains my grease fitings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg caviar.jpg (95.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by scott wurcer; 21st May 2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 21st May 2013, 02:12 AM   #1917
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Speaking of which, two dessert recipes with some interesting spices:

Kheer – Risotto Style with saffron and cardamom

Pineapple of Death
Old 21st May 2013, 12:10 PM   #1918
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Speaking of which, two dessert recipes with some interesting spices:

Kheer – Risotto Style with saffron and cardamom

Pineapple of Death
I used to cook fruit with Rum St James dark, but it vanished from the market for years. It was made from dunder and finished at 106 proof.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:47 PM   #1919
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I used to cook fruit with Rum St James dark, but it vanished from the market for years. It was made from dunder and finished at 106 proof.
Even at the "Wine Library" the next town over the pickings are very slim for rums -- there was a food guy on the radio here talking about the fragrances of some of the Haitian and Jamaican rums but some didn't even have a distributor in the U.S.
Old 21st May 2013, 02:48 PM   #1920
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Even at the "Wine Library" the next town over the pickings are very slim for rums -- there was a food guy on the radio here talking about the fragrances of some of the Haitian and Jamaican rums but some didn't even have a distributor in the U.S.
Did you know that Tia Maria was actually made with Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee at one time? I have a 40 yr. old empty just to prove it. You also could get Nocino made with real bitter green walnuts and with state controlled status like balsamic vinegar (not that that means anything anymore). Same with Amaretto made with bitter almonds (apricot pits) but this is still available. Virtually nothing except sicky sweet industrial versions of these classic aperitifs are generally available now.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 21st May 2013 at 02:52 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!