The food thread - Page 143 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2013, 02:55 AM   #1421
nezbleu is offline nezbleu  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacco vermeulen View Post
$2.50 is amazing, live Maine/Canadian did $12.50/lb wholesale sunday last.
Given the distance I suppose that's not bad. Locally here in Canada fresh lobster has been $5/lb for the last couple of months. We always have a feed on New Year's eve; a lot of folks here get some for New Year's or Christmas, so that usually pushes the price up, but catches have been unusually high this year.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:13 PM   #1422
diyAudio Member

I thought that the best oysters i had ever et were in France -- but when I visited Ireland this summer I found theirs to be fantastic. Same thing with the St. Jacques in Ireland
Old 23rd January 2013, 01:53 PM   #1423
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
I thought that the best oysters i had ever et were in France -- but when I visited Ireland this summer I found theirs to be fantastic. Same thing with the St. Jacques in Ireland
Unfortunately the belon oyster farm in Maine was destroyed in 1991. They were seeded from France and quite fine.
Old 23rd January 2013, 03:43 PM   #1424
diyAudio Member

We get good local mussels (and Oysters) from Poole, as well as from Scottish Lochs and Dublin Bay.

Say NO! to mayonnaise (which however is great with eggs!)

Mussels need shallots, white wine and a dash of sour cream - and good mopping bread. And a big basket of fries.

Moules Marinière, in fact.

Oysters on the half shell. With lemon and nothing else. The only way.

Last edited by cliffforrest; 23rd January 2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: I am an idiot.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:44 PM   #1425
diyAudio Member

#cliffforrest -- i thought they deep-fried everything in the UK

30 years ago my wife and I took our sons to the West of England at Easter Break. We screwed up a reservation so had to stay in a somewhat run-down commercial hotel. The young men were, however, very enthralled at the breakfast which had sausages, fried tomatoes, beans, toast, fried eggs, and tinned OJ. All the things you never get at the relais et chateaux!
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:09 PM   #1426
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
As it's time again for yet another episode of nostalgia revisited : PETER SELLERS & SOPHIA LOREN - 'Bangers And Mash' - 45rpm 1961 - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffforrest View Post
Say NO!
Easy for you to say.

Try living at 5 minutes from a commercial fishing harbor, where everything arrives fresh daily, also where portions of various order cooked/fried/raw are offered with home made sauce remoulade, aioli, others.
(oh gawd, the scale reads 260 again)

http://www.meteohellevoetsluis.nl/ma...by-DigiSpy.jpg
Old 24th January 2013, 01:45 PM   #1427
diyAudio Member

Heard on WFUV-FM news news from Ireland this weekend: Question: "What do you put on an Irish hamburger?". Answer: "A Fiver".
Old 17th February 2013, 09:11 PM   #1428
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

being able to do this every day if I wanted to makes me feel very priviledged

yesterday was especially good
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8481.JPG (198.8 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8471.JPG (149.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8509.JPG (144.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8499.JPG (186.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8482.JPG (217.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:46 AM   #1429
diyAudio Member

Default Inside blade roast; frying pan, stovetop pot roast!

Still digging out from the holidays, especially after a certain wife comes home with a certain 'surprize' light fixture that knocks certain ebay audio goodies off the table ... I picked up a super-cheap cut of meat yesterday: inside blade roast. This one was boneless but this will work with all the cheap cuts of meat. $3 for a big thick slab-o-death!

I usually pick up whatever's on sale and then google "x recipe" and found a forgotten technique: stovetop potroast!

Trick here is you need a deep frying pan preferably with a lid (if not I guess you could use foil). We're going for a long, slow, wet, heat ... that's what she said! My lid had a steam hole so I plugged it with foil. Whatever you do/use you want a reasonable seal.

stovetop frying pan potroast deep pan.jpg

Ok, here we go:

Season the outside of the steak/roast and rub it in. Give it a good sear on both sides in the hot oily pan and throw a sliced onion and whole mushrooms around the side to get a bit of fry.

Mix up a couple of cups of broth. Go nuts here! Broth, beer, soup, tomatos, ... I did beef bovril with a squirt-o-everything (Worcestershire and black bean paste!) Throw the broth in, scrape around to get all the good bits off the bottom (what the fancy call 'deglazing the pan').

Here's the next trick, heat: too much --> boil=tough, too little --> nothing=tough. Just a hint of simmer and then cover it up! Leave it for 1 to 2 hr depending on the cut/size. Don't look! (I couldn't resist and flipped it once!)

Pull the meat, raise the heat and thicken the gravy and ... serve, me with egg noodles (big meat but I'm giving a big chunk to my son).

stovetop frying pan potroast egg noodles.jpg

The meat ... awesome! That good deeper-than-filet beef taste, so tender it falls apart as your fork approaches with nice seasoned sear (more sear per volume than a roast!). The juicy meat shreds and falls into the rich, complex gravy that's been soaked up by the mushrooms. Ah, the 'shrooms are "saucy and juicy" as my son said and have their own cool texture and concentrated savory flavour burst!

... I think I can hear Cal drooling from the other side of the country ...
Old 23rd February 2013, 12:51 AM   #1430
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I think I just had a foodgasm.

Thanks for sharing.

Hide this!Advertise here!