The food thread - Page 137 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2012, 01:49 PM   #1361
diyAudio Member

I am an analphabet regarding wines, I admitt it. I really like wine, but going from 3€ and above, it doesn't really make a difference for me, they all taste just fine. My GF is just like that. It's funny to see us buying wine just by looking the colours and drawings on the cover of the bottle :-D
Old 22nd October 2012, 05:16 PM   #1362
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Well I don't have a great education 'wine-wise' but I wouldn't say 'they all taste just fine'. True, crap is crap but there are always small differences.

As a teenager I had no interest in wine. Coke was the best drink for me. One day I went out to dine to some rich guy's house with my father. I was fifteen. I asked for a Coke but my father told me the wine was good and I should try it, so I drank it. What's this? I asked. It doesn't taste like wine. It really didn't,.OMG it was something else. Loved it, and I was 'no sensitive kid' just the typical wild thing but I still remember that moment.
Old 23rd October 2012, 03:48 PM   #1363
diyAudio Member

Well, my last post was incomplete. Sorry for that. Summarizing, there's not much different between cheap 'wines'. There is a huge different between an excellent wine and the stuff you can buy at the supermarket. To the point you wonder why they share the same name, unhappy with this unjustice I changed the name of cheap 'wine' to fruit juice. Now back to the regular program.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:22 AM   #1364
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiel View Post
Well, my last post was incomplete. Sorry for that. Summarizing, there's not much different between cheap 'wines'. There is a huge different between an excellent wine and the stuff you can buy at the supermarket. To the point you wonder why they share the same name, unhappy with this unjustice I changed the name of cheap 'wine' to fruit juice. Now back to the regular program.
I think the same happens to Jamon serrano, cheap one makes a whole of a difference to really good ones. It's like comparing fried chicken to a beef steak.
Old 25th October 2012, 01:47 AM   #1365
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Jamon serrano
Yeah, that one also needs its time to taste good. Ah, I feel like talking about other things that need some time to be any good but....enough of this.
Old 26th October 2012, 02:02 AM   #1366
diyAudio Member

I rarely drink any kind of alcohol, and wine is just for social meals. I especially know little about white wine because it can be horrid if it's not good so I don't buy it.

I choose what I think goes with the food. I thought a slightly tart, almost dry white. Here, pork is associated with apples, and cider. But pork in a stew isn't common, and cider's too wet, so I was wondering what would be authentic, which is always my fallback when I'm stuck, which is often.

Last edited by PlasticIsGood; 26th October 2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 1st November 2012, 12:05 PM   #1367
diyAudio Member

A Halloween crustacean oddity.
Old 11th November 2012, 09:05 PM   #1368
diyAudio Member

Just enjoyed my Ice cream with rum, sunflower seeds (peeled of course) and blueberries we picked this summer.

Yesterday we made Moussaka from scratch, lots of tomatoes, squash, aubergine, cream and egg yoke sauce, nice meat, spiced with oregano and anise.
Next time I think we'll skip the meat and purge our yellowfoot mushroom supply instead. I enjoyed a (1) Julebokk beer along with it. Actually fit very well with the rich greek food.

*Insert long winded rant here about beer and tradition*

Edit:
I normally go out 1-2 times a year for a drink, enjoy a beer on occasion, but a six pack can last for months.

Last edited by KaffiMann; 11th November 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 17th November 2012, 12:50 AM   #1369
diyAudio Member

Location: kansas city mo, and on occasion, around the world ...
Click the image to open in full size.

RIP Photo - rose mcgowan | Lockerz
Old 17th November 2012, 05:42 AM   #1370
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

WHAT ABOUT THE TWINKIE - Ghostbusters - YouTube

I can't get enough of Miso Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms.

I personally cannot stand alcohol any more, not after that huge binge involving a slab of Victoria Bitter Beer and 2 bottles of vodka, 6 bottles of red and white wine (3 of each), and a bottle of Jack Daniels.

I've been in the emergency ward of hospitals often enough to realise that people just use Alcohol here as a ******* contest and cannot control their intake.

Last edited by freax; 17th November 2012 at 05:45 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!