The food thread

Here's another hearty late winter recipe. Russian pork chops in sour cream sauce.

Slice some potatoes (thick). Brown them in a little oil and/or butter. Season some pork chops (or nice shoulder steaks) and brown very quickly over high heat. Sauté some sliced onions and mushrooms, deglaze with a splash of white wine (I added that bit), add back the chops and a splash of water if needed, cover, simmer 10 minutes,add potatoes, simmer until pork is tender, shirt in a cup of sour cream, heat through.

Hadn't tried the long green peppers before so I got busy Friday night.

Pork
Chinese sausage
Rice
Mushrooms
Seasoning
Whatever else seemed right. IIW I don't remember. :)

Stuffed using the handle of a wooden spoon.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 121
So my friend SY was telling me the pasta I was getting from the extruder type of maker was not as good as the 'other' kind. So I'm making the 'other' kind. I didn't bother to trim the sides of the pasta 'blank' so the noodles lack that evenness about them.

Flour
Eggs
Olive oil
Salt

Hand knead it then run it through the rollers until the desired thickness then through the cutter. Pretty straight forward.

We are having a very thin Linguini style noodle with a smoked salmon and mushroom cream sauce and some stuffed scallops and a green salad.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 105
great! You got me in !
Those are Tagliatelle - From the v. tagliare-to cut
If you don't cut 'em, those are ready to make Lasagna
( stricly vegetarian, just use your fantasy)
The Linguine are the kind of the extruded type ( !), same as spaghetti but flat, not round
Lingua-Tongue; Spago- Rope

As the summer is coming, it's the season of zucchini, eggplant, basil, peppers...
So Melanzane alla Parmigiana ( eggplant) and Caponata ( mix ).
Fried & steamed go so well together ...:)

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Ashamed to admit that we import sheet pasta into the US from Canada -- and it's pretty good.

I would think something this simple should freeze and ship quite well. I find the issue of flour makeup the most confusing issue as well as place to differentiate on quality. I was once shocked to have the current principle in one of Boston's oldest "real" North End hand made pasta companies (I mean they had 100+ year old giant versions of those little machines) tell me that now a days no Italian housewife would bother with anything other than general purpose white flour so they don't either.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004

Evan your work is beautiful. Did you ever know a gentleman that worked out of Boothbay Harbor Maine as "The Cabenet Maker's Wife"? He did over the top joints and made simple mortise and tenons look like Chinese puzzles.

BTW my North End experiences are 30+ yr. old when the rabbits and abbaccio hung in every doorway. The current state is so immasculated I can't really take it.

Last edited:
posh spaghetti

My fav spaghetti for week days, not exactly cheap at $2.5/lb wholesale in 6.5lb bags, but spanks most of the local available fresh varieties imo =>
(couple of months ago, Barilla won a 12-year lawsuit rally about the Oro name)

(sigh, I spent a decade tracking down the right corn flour to make tortillas myself, still use a puri/chapati press & plastic foil for the flatten job)

Attachments

• Oro no5.jpg
    Oro no5.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited: