The food thread - Page 104 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th June 2012, 05:46 AM   #1031
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofaspud View Post
I'm kinda the type... worrying too much about the food you're eating is probably not very good for your health.
Everyone knows how to eat. But very few eat properly. "Garbage in -> garbage out" works not only in computer programming. And number of myths and fashions around food is probably higher than around Hi-end audio. The same role plays official dietology as audio-hi-end-ology.

You can build a sound system without feedbacks. But human body acts with multiple feedback loops. Feedbacks cause oscillations. Like, if you don't eat enough of well balanced food you have no energy. Craving for sugar is understandable: it brings fast energy. But due to phase shifts in feedback deeper loss of energy follows after short peak, and 0.5-1.5 hours after you feel more exhausted.
Yes, human body is THE greatest chemical factory. It is very flexible, but can't do everything always. You can for example live 2-5 years without vitamin B12, until resources depleted, then lots of people want to see psychiatrists because they don't know that hallucinations and schizophrenic symptoms are caused by wrong diet caused by belief that it is stupid to learn what and how to eat.
You can eat some diet without few proteins except essential ones that can't be synthesized, your body will synthesize the rest.
You can live without consumption of saturated fats, and your body will make them from other food and store enormous reserves... But this reserves will never be used because it is not enough of other components in the food to utilize them. Then, functional changes happen... That lead to deseases that can't be reversed back...
...and all because that poor human being being ignorant thought that he/she knows what, when, and how to eat...

Ignorance in diet is worse that ignorance in electronics, because not only quality of life, but the life itself, depends on this knowledge. In traditional societies people could be 100% sure that because they have the same diet as other people from their tribe they can expect similar life quality and length. Similarly in modern Western society diabesity, heart diseases, cancers, are very common, so you can be 100% sure that following common diet you will have similar outcome.

Last edited by Wavebourn; 4th June 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old 4th June 2012, 06:11 AM   #1032
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Paired with a '93 Niellon Batard-Montrachet.
A glass of that would have gone quite nicely with tonight's lasagna.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-r...7-h373/006.JPG

Chocolate pie for desert.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3...7-h373/012.JPG

jeff
Old 4th June 2012, 06:44 AM   #1033
diyAudio Member

Translate my smiley as, "Don't take me too serious. Or too personal."
I generally agree with you, Wavebourn. People should listen to their own bodies and not the latest nutrition fads and headlines. You didn't mention the worrying, though, and that was really the point, if any, in my post.
I myself have made some purposeful effort to learn a little about nutrition (I believe there's 8 essential dietary proteins, SY probably knows for sure, and B12 can give you a better energy buzz than sugar ever will). It's those "super-size it with a diet Coke" folks that seem chronically confused.
I'm not overweight, and my blood pressure, cholesterol, iron, etc. are better than many people's half my age. My diet is reasonably balanced. Sometimes pasta with marinara is good, but sometimes I want a steak or burger.
I'd like Cal to post pics of his cooked homemade sausage. There's a pizzeria nearby that makes spinach pizza, and man that's some good stuff. But I'd bet SY can do it better.
I'm still thinking about his green beans. When I was growing up frozen green beans weren't even allowed in the house!
I confess I did down a pint of Ben & Jerry's earlier this evening. I think you can only balance that with something like a long bike ride.
Old 4th June 2012, 06:47 AM   #1034
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
We finished dinner in Russian style... I am full, kind and lazy now.
Burgers made from meat of cows that grazed on green grass. Fried wild white mushrooms in organic sour cream. Vegetable Salad with sprouts. Pasta. Goat kefir.
Real Beef is made from Steers. Cows give us milk and cheeze.

Cows are only used, once too old to be reliable as milk producers or mothers, in factory burgers and factory prepared frozen/canned food. Steer is used for all fresh cuts of beef.

If you used fresh ground beef, you were not eating Cow. At least I hope not.
" ... Go back to the beginning of a technology before the priesthood was established; that was the time when people were communicating information, not proving why there needs to be Priests. This is why the old texts tend to be so good. ..."

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 4th June 2012 at 06:50 AM.
Old 4th June 2012, 06:55 AM   #1035
diyAudio Member

BTW (and I don't remember where I heard this), I was taught that bananas and eggs were the best foods you could eat. Doughnuts and marshmallows were the worst. Always seemed to make a lot of sense to me.
Old 4th June 2012, 06:58 AM   #1036
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
If you used fresh ground beef, you were not eating Cow. At least I hope not.
No, of course I was not eating Holly Cows.
My native language is Russian. Probably better would be to say, "Beef from cattle that ate green grass"!

Is it right now?

Also, Burger is not right word for Russian Kotleta. It tastes differently.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:16 PM   #1037
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I'd like Cal to post pics of his cooked homemade sausage.
No pics of the cooked, just the raw ones and the rest (5 kg's) is in the freezer. I will try and remember next time I pull some out.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:20 PM   #1038
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I'm still thinking about his green beans.
Both bush and pole beans grow well in this climate so we always have a good amount through the summer. I can't remember the name of it right now but my brother discovered a pole bean that's a lot like the bush types, tastes better and the yield is outta this world. Green, purple, yellow, doesn't matter they're all good. Stir fried, tempura, steamed, in soups or even raw.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:23 PM   #1039
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Kotleta.
Google wants to spell it Kotlety. Either way they remind me of the kind of thing Grandma used to make.

EDIT: Now I see - Kotleta is the ground meat and Kotlety is the patty from it.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:25 PM   #1040
Tuliman is offline Tuliman  Romania
diyAudio Member

Crayfish, potatoes and sauce

Second, baked potatoes and salmon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg raci.jpg (219.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg somon.jpg (360.7 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by Tuliman; 4th June 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!