Patenting by the diyaudio.com? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2011, 07:54 PM   #71
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
I guess a patent is only worth something if someone else really want to buy it from you, at your price

if you want to use it yourself, maybe best to just keep shut about it, and not tell anyone

product ought to sell well because of superior quality, due to your invention
and not because you tell your customers about your patent
but sure, we know how it works
we buy dreams, promisses, and patents
And if it's worth enough for them to buy/license a patent, they may run a credit check on you to see if you've got a few extra millions to spend in defending an infringement, and if not they'll go ahead and use your patent and not worry about being sued, or know they'll end up paying less in attorney fees than they would for a license.

But then getting a patent on something brings attention to it as something you think is valuable, and that you want to protect. Perhaps you should then NOT patent THAT thing, but rather something ELSE in your device that you don't really care of others infringe on, sort of as a red herring.* Let OTHERS figure out what is the actual unique and valuable part of your device...

"Claim 1: An amplifier consisting of an Operational Amplifier and two resistors, featuring a non-inverting characteristic, fixed gain and a high input impedance ..."

* This is my second DIYaudio post today mentioning red herring. I must like the phrase.
Old 20th September 2012, 10:15 PM   #72
diyAudio Member

Bumping this thread - here's an interesting new StackExchange site for discussing new patent applications. Maybe it will cut down on frivolous and useless (except to the patentee) patents granted:
Open Season on Patents Starts Thursday, Thanks to Crowdsourced Platform | Threat Level | Wired.com

http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2012/0...t-bad-patents/
Old 21st September 2012, 03:30 PM   #73
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Usual IANAL disclaimer.
But you do play one on TV don't you?
Old 15th January 2014, 05:53 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Ranks #1 in Best Places to Work in the Federal Government
Press Release, 13-40
Old 20th January 2014, 02:54 PM   #75
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Must be because they party all day rather than actually READ the submissions. I am amazed bu the number of patents issued that cover prior art or how they award a patent on a vague twist of application, not really unique.

The iPhone had a patent on "sleek design"

A consumer product with sleek design! I think Raymond Loewy would be spinning in his grave.
Old 20th January 2014, 11:21 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Must be because they party all day rather than actually READ the submissions. I am amazed bu the number of patents issued that cover prior art or how they award a patent on a vague twist of application, not really unique.

A consumer product with sleek design! I think Raymond Loewy would be spinning in his grave.
But that one is (cough) enforceable, mostly because it's a Big Company, and the Big Company is willing to spend Big Bucks to defend it.
Old 26th January 2014, 09:14 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Quote:

You have to understand how the law works. "Right and wrong" and the law are two different things. This also applies to other areas of law.
Old 26th January 2014, 09:15 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:

What's the patent number?
Old 26th January 2014, 09:19 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Well, they shouldn't be complete strangers.
Otherwise, what's the point?

Perhaps better to say, "You have to understand that the law and how the law(yers) work(s) are two different things."
Old 27th January 2014, 02:31 AM   #80
diyAudio Member

That makes THREE different things: Right and wrong, the law, and how lawyers work.

Hide this!Advertise here!