Patenting by the diyaudio.com? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2011, 11:38 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Just a question ,I don't know if this is OT or not. If I invented a new type of loud speaker( say a 6" woofer because that's the size I decided to make it.) would the patent apply to all sizes of woofers mids and tweets that the technology was applicable to? Or would I have to have working models for all imaginable sizes? As well since my day job sucks balls and I am just the little guy, I once heard that you could mail the invention back to yourself ( thru registered mail) and that would qualify as proir art)???? Maybe?
Old 14th March 2011, 01:20 AM   #62
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

you might want to read the thread
Old 14th March 2011, 01:38 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

I actually read the whole thread before I posted (being sick in bed) so I was trying to pre-excuse myself just in case. What better place to inquire than where the experts are?

Last edited by Top Shelf; 14th March 2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 14th March 2011, 01:54 AM   #64
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

I guess a patent is only worth something if someone else really want to buy it from you, at your price

if you want to use it yourself, maybe best to just keep shut about it, and not tell anyone

product ought to sell well because of superior quality, due to your invention
and not because you tell your customers about your patent
but sure, we know how it works
we buy dreams, promisses, and patents
Old 14th March 2011, 02:01 AM   #65
jcx is online now jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

there seems some strong opinion against patent usefulness until you've got the money to defend

if nevertheless you do have a "valuable" idea then there is the ~ $100 "provisional" route that gives you a defendable priority date and a year to find someone wanting to license the tech to front you the full patent application costs/fees

Process for Obtaining a Utility Patent
Old 14th March 2011, 06:16 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Just a question ,I don't know if this is OT or not. If I invented a new type of loud speaker( say a 6" woofer because that's the size I decided to make it.) would the patent apply to all sizes of woofers mids and tweets that the technology was applicable to? Or would I have to have working models for all imaginable sizes? As well since my day job sucks balls and I am just the little guy, I once heard that you could mail the invention back to yourself ( thru registered mail) and that would qualify as proir art)???? Maybe?
If written properly you can cover any speaker size you want. For example you could say.

Claim 1: A loudspeaker comprised of blah blah blah (you could insert the size by saying "A loudspeaker comprised of ... having a radial diameter of 0.25-100").
Claim 2: A loudspeaker as discussed in claim 1 with part 1 of your invention
Claim 3: A loudspeaker as discussed in claim 2 with part 2 of your invention
and so on.

Or you could include it in the definitions:
A loudspeaker is an electromechanical device which converts an AC voltage into sound. The device is comprised of a cone, coil, blah blah blah and has a radial diameter of 0.25-100".

If you do patent the design, don't forget to include things like cone depth (flat versus well cone like), dust cap design, cone shape (square, oval, round, etc.)
Old 14th March 2011, 11:19 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much JCX and Pedrodagr8.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:27 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

Stop Congress' raid on Patent Office and innovation
http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinio...and-innovation

Last edited by 7n7is; 20th June 2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:33 PM   #69
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

dunno is it mentioned already , or not ;

one of possibilities is making sort of Diyaudio GPL ( as Linux boyz are using) ;

I'm lazy to type everything , but meaning of GPL is easy to find on line
Old 20th June 2011, 06:44 PM   #70
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

The GPL would be here:
The GNU General Public License v3.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF)

Also, along similar lines is Creative Commons:
Creative Commons
Quote:
Creative Commons is a nonprofit organization that develops, supports, and stewards legal and technical infrastructure that maximizes digital creativity, sharing, and innovation.
I don't know why they're so specific with "digital creativity" (actually this is just me being a pedant), as I have some analog circuitry I might want to release under such a license, as no doubt others here do too.

Hide this!Advertise here!