Time Machine or Fountain of Youth? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2011, 04:58 AM   #1
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Time Machine or Fountain of Youth?

Let us assume Zeus has presented you with two systems, a Time Machine and the Fountain of Youth. He suggests that you can potentially access either system, however access to one is contingent upon you not accessing the other. If he discovers that you have accessed both, he will destroy both systems.

With the Time Machine, you can transport to any place AND any time an infinite number of times, but you must wait at least 72 hours between jumps. You experience no time when jumping to another time and place, however you still age regularly and you will die eventually. If you die while using the Time Machine, you are dead forever. With the Fountain of Youth, you will be at 100% mental and physical health for as long as the system is on. You can live forever, however you still experience pain. If you die while the system is on, you will wake up in a predetermined location at 100% health, but this can only happen once every 72 hours. You can change the specific location at any time. If you die more than once in a 72 hour period, you are dead forever.

Which would you choose?
Old 18th January 2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Hartono is offline Hartono  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

..........both sucks :-)
Old 18th January 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

what kind of mushrooms are they selling at Purdue?
Old 18th January 2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Cassiel is offline Cassiel  Libya
diyAudio Member

Not magic mushrooms needed. Actually, mankind has been fantasizing about Time machines and Fountains of Youth for a long time. We are just not happy with our limitations. There's another thread about living after death. Same story.

Last edited by Cassiel; 18th January 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Slight improvement
Old 23rd January 2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Gyuri is offline Gyuri  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartono View Post
..........both sucks :-)
I am satisfied with the sucks of which I get my share in my short little life.
That let this last eternally?
Oh neee...
Old 31st January 2011, 01:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't want to live forever.
Old 31st January 2011, 04:32 PM   #7
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

Fountain of youth for me.

If it is with 100% health then I would like to live forever.

Being "alive" is as good as it gets.
Old 2nd February 2011, 05:20 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I could handle living longer than humans usually do but forever is such a long time that eventually I know everything I could possibly do would become so boring I would not be able to stand it.
Old 2nd February 2011, 06:43 AM   #9
benb is offline benb  United States
diyAudio Member

The time machine is "interesting" but I think I know enough about the past, and the future is more interesting. I'd go for the "live forever" deal and see how the future plays out.

But then that setup isn't quite living forever - if you die twice within 72 hours you're dead for good, and that's eventually going to happen, even if it takes thousands of years.

I want to live forever, but I've had a really hard time sticking to a CRON diet. That's about the best bet for the present and the near future, and it only adds a few decades to life, but then Ray Kurzweil is making a lot of predictions about future technology...
Old 2nd February 2011, 01:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'd go for the fountain of youth. Eventually, I'll be able to play Sweet Child O Mine on guitar (including the solo - that's the difficult bit...)...

Hide this!Advertise here!