diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   The Lounge (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/)
-   -   Time Machine or Fountain of Youth? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/181374-time-machine-fountain-youth.html)

thadman 18th January 2011 04:58 AM

Time Machine or Fountain of Youth?

Let us assume Zeus has presented you with two systems, a Time Machine and the Fountain of Youth. He suggests that you can potentially access either system, however access to one is contingent upon you not accessing the other. If he discovers that you have accessed both, he will destroy both systems.

With the Time Machine, you can transport to any place AND any time an infinite number of times, but you must wait at least 72 hours between jumps. You experience no time when jumping to another time and place, however you still age regularly and you will die eventually. If you die while using the Time Machine, you are dead forever. With the Fountain of Youth, you will be at 100% mental and physical health for as long as the system is on. You can live forever, however you still experience pain. If you die while the system is on, you will wake up in a predetermined location at 100% health, but this can only happen once every 72 hours. You can change the specific location at any time. If you die more than once in a 72 hour period, you are dead forever.

Which would you choose?

Hartono 18th January 2011 07:04 AM

..........both sucks :-)

jackinnj 18th January 2011 10:51 AM

what kind of mushrooms are they selling at Purdue?

Cassiel 18th January 2011 02:42 PM

Not magic mushrooms needed. Actually, mankind has been fantasizing about Time machines and Fountains of Youth for a long time. We are just not happy with our limitations. :D There's another thread about living after death. Same story.

Gyuri 23rd January 2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartono (Post 2437555)
..........both sucks :-)

I am satisfied with the sucks of which I get my share in my short little life.
That let this last eternally?
Oh neee...

Peckerwood 31st January 2011 01:27 PM

I don't want to live forever.

jerryo 31st January 2011 04:32 PM

Fountain of youth for me.

If it is with 100% health then I would like to live forever.

Being "alive" is as good as it gets.

Peckerwood 2nd February 2011 05:20 AM

I could handle living longer than humans usually do but forever is such a long time that eventually I know everything I could possibly do would become so boring I would not be able to stand it.

benb 2nd February 2011 06:43 AM

The time machine is "interesting" but I think I know enough about the past, and the future is more interesting. I'd go for the "live forever" deal and see how the future plays out.

But then that setup isn't quite living forever - if you die twice within 72 hours you're dead for good, and that's eventually going to happen, even if it takes thousands of years.

I want to live forever, but I've had a really hard time sticking to a CRON diet. That's about the best bet for the present and the near future, and it only adds a few decades to life, but then Ray Kurzweil is making a lot of predictions about future technology...

chris661 2nd February 2011 01:00 PM

I'd go for the fountain of youth. Eventually, I'll be able to play Sweet Child O Mine on guitar (including the solo - that's the difficult bit...)...