Smokin' meat

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Beef brisket
Chicken breast with bacon
Pork side ribs
Hickory chips
Mmm...

Attachments

• IMG_2244 small.jpg
    IMG_2244 small.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 148
Thanks. I hope you're right.

Two and a half hours in and the cook is appreciating the somewhat windy (bad) and the chilly (good) weather with a fresh supply of libations (hehe) so he really doesn't care how long this takes. ;)

This is a cold smoking so after about a 6 hours or so, we can decide what we want for dinner and wrap the rest in plastic wrap to continue the sweating (read smoke infusion). All the meat will have to be cooked before eating. I guess you knew that when I said cold smoke huh? Oops, I mean eh?

Cheers. :drink:

Attachments

• IMG_2249 small.jpg
    IMG_2249 small.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 133
Looks good Cal. I hot smoked the turkey in my wood fired oven for Christmas. It was the best turkey i have ever eaten.

Did you happen to brine it first? If so you are my newest hero. I want to try that next. Brined turkey in the oven is the best I've tasted. Done that the last 3 years and will not go back to the 'old' way. Now I would like to try smoking before cooking, I'm thinking turkey heaven here. If not I bet it was still the best ever as you said. Cheers.

Cold smoked brisket,I'm on my way over! :D

Funny you should mention that, I've already set a place for you.

John, I was hoping you would show up. :)

Thanks for the links, I do get to help out with the BBQ crowd, I am a 'silent' partner for some of the competitions in this neck of the woods. My buddy has won here and there but I don't put too much into it, I am more interested in doing what I like rather than pleasing the judges. My stuff might not win competitions but always wins the hearts of those who join me. :) I've tasted many 'a' winners stuff and I have to shake my head. It's good and all but why did that win a competition? Anyway...

We decided on one of the rib racks and I am once again very happy. I have a big food hard-on about now. Oops, did I say that? Must be the rum.

Cheers.

I didnt brine it but it was a commercial bought turkey which had already had a salt solution soaked in to it. I put a pound of herb and lemon butter under the shin and that was all i did. The fire was burning with Aussie red gum for about two hours the as it died down I put the turkey in then shut the door. Ther was enough smoke from the smouldering coals to give a mild but very distinct smoke flavour.

I have been cooking ribs lately, maybe my favourite "Americann food"

Did you happen to brine it first? If so you are my newest hero. I want to try that next. Brined turkey in the oven is the best I've tasted. Done that the last 3 years and will not go back to the 'old' way. Now I would like to try smoking before cooking, I'm thinking turkey heaven here. If not I bet it was still the best ever as you said. Cheers.

Funny you should mention that, I've already set a place for you.

That sounds great. I'm not sure if we can get the pre-brined turkey here. I'll have to look. I know we can get pigs done that way.

Are ribs an American dish? I've grown up with them so I thought all the world did too.
You guys have got to try Alton Browns brined turkey. He has a show on the Food Network called Good Eats. You can find the recipe at foodnetwork,com
I followed the recipe exactly and used a thermeter with the cord that connects to an alarm. It was very easy and very cheap. The best turkey I ever had.
My next adventure will be brined pork.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.