No good deed goes unpunished - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th December 2010, 06:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default No good deed goes unpunished

Tis' the season to get sued....

Long story short: I built something for someone a few months ago. I spent quite a few man hours and even some of my own money on this project. I asked for nothing in return; zero, zilch, nada.

I made it clear from the beginning I was just an amateur hobbyist willing to lend a hand. I never pretended to be a business or a professional and was very honest with my capabilities from the beginning.

Fast forward a few months: The item I put together for this person functioned properly until recently. They said it just unexpectedly stopped working. Note: this person admitted to having the top off to "swap parts" on multiple occasions.

Anyway, I had been reluctant to start a conversation with this person over the issue due to the fact they kind of drive me nuts and I was hoping to be done with them once I put their box in the mail.

I guess this person feels I owe them something somehow and has now threatened me with a lawsuit if I don't either fix their item or reimburse them the money they spent on the project; money I only received a small portion of from selling them a $90 chassis for $50.

Let this be a lesson to us all...... do not ~EVER~ do anything nice for anyone. My good will toward man is officially done; never again.

Happy Holidays

Last edited by theAnonymous1; 18th December 2010 at 06:17 AM.
Old 18th December 2010, 07:16 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Tell us who they are so we can ridicule them and possibly destroy their home as well. Revenge is sweet and best served by a third-party.
Old 18th December 2010, 07:40 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello Anonymous1

In many occasions I've help, for free, some peoples who was not nice at all after I helped them.

But I've not stop to help, now I check twice what kind of person it is before giving times to them, because there is peoples who are ok and who really need help.

But I agree with you, it is very frustrating to help somebody who bite you like a snake after you helped him.

Bye

Gaetan
Old 18th December 2010, 11:43 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Most threats of legal action are hollow. If the idiot tries, the case will have to be in Small Claims, where a judge will toss it very quickly and perhaps grant you costs.

The usual IANAL disclaimer.
Old 18th December 2010, 12:08 PM   #5
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

Anon,

For many people, not all mind you, if a service is rendered free they consider it worthless. And many people actually make a living from disgraceful litigation.

In the future either assess the personality carefully before you give, or charge for everything you do. Then it is valued.

Hugh
Old 18th December 2010, 12:41 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

I too am not a lawyer.

Under UK law I think a contract would have existed between you and the other party. You agreed to do something for him, he agreed to pay you. Provided you did it with reasonable skill and safety you have discharged your side of the bargain. It was not in the course of trade, so all the consumer protection laws would not apply. The fact that you made a loss on the job probably is irrelevant. I assume you offered no warranty, so your responsibility ended when he accepted the item (shown by him putting it into use, and then modifying it).

The fact that he has admitted modifying it should mean that any judge would throw out a case.

I think a general rule is only do jobs like this for people you really know and trust. It may help if you don't make a charge, but leave it to them to give you a gift. Only do it for people you would be happy to do it for free. Others will try to treat you like a business, whatever you say to them, and demand future repairs and upgrades.
Old 18th December 2010, 06:55 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaetan8888 View Post
[snip] now I check twice what kind of person it is before giving times to them, because there is peoples who are ok and who really need help. [snip]
I honestly didn't see this coming. This person is the typical middle class American - a career businessperson with a nice home, a long standing marriage, two successful children (one of which is a lawyer), etc.

They became annoyingly obsessive with asking questions during the build, but I chalked it up to just being their personality; not necessarily meaning there was anything wrong with them (retrospects a b***).

I'm going to tell the person I will give them the ~$300 they spent back, even though most of it went to third parties for parts. I'm not going to do it because I feel threatened, just want to be the better person here. I could probably fix the thing for less than that, but I don't think they even deserve to own it at this point.

I have another project I've been trying to finish up to give a fellow forum member as a surprise holiday gift; I would hate to end up in litigation over that as well.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:19 PM   #8
AKSA is offline AKSA  Australia
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest making the offer of the cash ONLY if they return the product.

That would be the requirement of the law in a simple consumer conflict. It covers all bases and gives you back what you put into it.

Uh, that would be one successful child, depending on your view of lawyers.

Hugh
Old 18th December 2010, 11:34 PM   #9
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Agree with Aksa, and further comment that 99% of people you will run into will be very appreciative of your help, in some cases on a very long term basis and chalk up the other 1% to being nicer than they are. (Taking advantage of you)

I've had few similar experiences all in all, and this might be your only one.

Many of my closest friends are people I initially helped out, and vice versa - particularly as far as this hobby goes..

The guy is being a jerk.. I would offer to refund his money when he returns the item in question, not before.. Fix it and offer it for sale or trade here - I'm sure someone would be happy to have it on a "as is" basis..

Best of luck.
Old 18th December 2010, 11:52 PM   #10
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454Casull View Post
Tell us who they are so we can ridicule them
Yes.
Quote:
and possibly destroy their home as well.
No.
Quote:
Revenge is sweet and best served by a third-party.
Sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Most threats of legal action are hollow. If the idiot tries, the case will have to be in Small Claims, where a judge will toss it very quickly and perhaps grant you costs.
Likely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
[b]
Let this be a lesson to us all...... do not ~EVER~ do anything nice for anyone. My good will toward man is officially done; never again.
Stings pretty bad right now huh?
I only hope that when this is sorted out and the other person has been put in their place that you return to the guy who likes to help others. The world needs more of your type. Good luck with it.

Hide this!Advertise here!