Facts about Edison, Tesla and Westinghouse

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you know of a book that would contain a healthy portion of Tesla's
inventions with explanations and graphs etc. So that I could learn more
of this amazing mans accomplishments. I have heard he developed a device
that could transmit electrical energy great distances through the earth.

The Inventions, Researches, and Writings of Nikola Tesla, Thomas Commerford Martin, Barnes and Nobles Books, 1995, USA.
ISBN 0-88029-812-X casebound
ISBN 1-56619-812-7 paperback

Cheers, John

Tesla got together with Westinghouse
Together with Westinghouse he built the worlds first power plant at Niagara Falls

Not quite.

The first hydro generation and long distance distribution of single phase AC was from a Tesla designed powerhouse at Willamette Falls in Oregon City to Portland Oregon in 1889, 6 years before the Niagra Falls powerhouse became operational in 1896. The Willamette Falls powerhouse was converted to Tesla's polyphase motor in 1893, up and running the same year that work only started at Niagra Falls.

Last edited:
Niagara Falls! Slowwwwwwly I turn, step by step, inch by inch....

Then I slap him, I smack him, I rip his shirt and I knock him to the ground.....

Evidently I'm not the only Stooges fan here.:D

Did you ever catch when Larry messed up his line in that bit and got the sequence backwards?

Im sure it helped a lot to have so much experience at stage acting as those guys did. Back then film was very expensive so you didn't get a re-take.

Not quite.

The first hydro generation and long distance distribution of single phase AC was from a Tesla designed powerhouse at Willamette Falls in Oregon City to Portland Oregon in 1889, 6 years before the Niagra Falls powerhouse became operational in 1896. The Willamette Falls powerhouse was converted to Tesla's polyphase motor in 1893, up and running the same year that work only started at Niagra Falls.

Ahh yes! I haven't been down to that spot in a while. I think the last time I was there I was eating pizza at spot overlooking the falls,with the train rumbling by underneath me. :)

The story of Armstrong and Deforrest (RCA) is very interesting too. Armstrong invented AM and FM radio and a lot of other cool things and Deforrest got all the credit for it. Armstrong died broke after spending all of his money fighting RCA in court over his patents but loosing. When the scientific community asked Deforrest to explain how the stuff worked he couldn't do it but Armstrong did, so in Scientific books Armstrong gets the credit but in history books Deforrest does. Armstrong was very eccentric too. He used to love to dance on top of radio towers. In fact he committed suicide by taking a dive.

I read a biagraphy on him while I was in HS.

I remember that he did experiments with standing waves for power transmission, and burned up a generator at Niagra falls during the experiment. However, the experiment was a success in that he was able to extract power several miles away from the generation station.

Basically none of today's electronics would be possible without Nikola Tesla. Our forum may as well be named "Tesla" or have the visage of Nikola as its logo...

Tesla was, IMHO, the brightest engineering genius of the 20th century.

Edison was just a great marketer and technology thief. On his defense, though, he was very hard working.

Edison was great at running a lab and managing people who did most of the work he got credit for. A great man and good manager, but he took credit for the inventinos that other people worked on.

Tesla was the greater mind as far as true inventions went.

According to the book I read, after Edison saw the writing on the wall and realized AC wsa going to win, he hired Tesla to redesign the DC generating stations that Edison had at Niagra Falls. In addition to his pay, Edison promised Tesla a $5000 bonus if he finished on time. When the AC generators were in place and running ahead of time, he gave Tesal a $.05/hr bonus. Tesla was not happy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.