More nannying -- the US Postal Service - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2010, 10:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default More nannying -- the US Postal Service

The US Postal Service, or the boss of the Postmaster General, has now determined that you can't mail your cigs -- how do you now get them to your brother-in-law in prison I don't know. Least I can tell, tobacco products are still legal:

Cigarette & Smokeless Tobacco Mailings

What: Beginning on June 29, 2010, the United States Postal Service cannot accept or transmit any package that it knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, contains nonmailable smokeless tobacco or cigarettes. Cigarettes and smokeless tobacco shipments are banned from the mail if they do not fit in one of the following exceptions:

* Alaska/Hawaii: Shipments entirely within Alaska or Hawaii;
* Business/Regulatory Purposes: Shipments transmitted between verified and authorized tobacco industry businesses for business purposes, or between such businesses and federal or state agencies for regulatory purposes;
* Certain Individuals: Infrequent, lightweight shipments mailed by age verified adult individuals; and
* Consumer Testing/Public Health: Shipments of cigarettes sent by verified and authorized manufacturers to verified adult smokers age 21 and over for consumer testing purposes, and shipments sent by federal agencies to consumers for public health purposes.

When: A final rule to implement these changes was published in the Federal Register on May 27, 2010. The final rule comes into effect on June 29, 2010.

Why: These new rules result from the enactment of the Prevent All Cigarette Trafficking (PACT) Act, which was signed by the President on March 31, 2010. The Act provides that cigarettes and smokeless tobacco will become nonmailable matter effective June 29, 2010.

Details: Key elements of the final rule include:

* Cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are nonmailable, unless an exception applies.
* All excepted shipments of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco must be presented in face-to-face transactions with postal employees.
* Carrier Pickup™ and Pickup On Demand® Service are not permitted for excepted shipments.
* If you are creating a postage label using Click-N-Ship® or Shipping Assistant®, please bring your package to a post office (excluding any contract retail unit).
* All excepted shipments of cigarettes must bear a unique marking on the address side of the package. Each exception has its own marking.
* With the exception of shipments entirely within Alaska and Hawaii, and to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, all excepted shipments of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco must be sent via Express Mail® Hold for Pickup.
* For shipments from the United States to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, check the Postal Bulletin for tobacco restrictions, which apply to certain ZIP Codes, and confirm with postal personnel that Express Mail® and Priority Mail® with Delivery Confirmation is available to the destination.
* When permitted, shipments of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco to APO/FPO/DPO addresses customers must use Express Mail Military Service (EMMS) "Express Mail®" or Priority Mail® with Delivery Confirmation; Express Mail® Hold for Pickup service is not available.
* Other than shipments entirely within Alaska or Hawaii, absolutely no sales transactions of cigarettes or smokeless tobacco may be sent by mail.
* Business/government customers sending shipments under the "business/regulatory" and "consumer testing/public health" exceptions must first apply for and receive an eligibility letter from the Pricing & Classification Service Center (PCSC) prior to mailing. This letter must be presented each time an excepted mailing is presented to USPS personnel at acceptance.
* Excepted shipments sent by business/government customers under the "business/regulatory" and "consumer testing/public health" exceptions must bear a return receipt (PS Form 3811) returnable to the PCSC PACT Mailing Office.
* Delivery of cigarettes mailed under the "consumer testing/public health" exception is restricted to the addressee, who must be at least 21 years of age.
* Individuals sending shipments under the "certain individuals" exception must furnish proof of age at the time of mailing and must orally confirm that the addressee is of age to purchase tobacco at the place of destination. In the case of all mailings by individuals, the operative legal age to purchase tobacco is age 18 in all states and U.S. territories and possessions, with the exception that the minimum age is 19 in the states of Alaska, Alabama, New Jersey, and Utah, and in Nassau, Onondaga, and Suffolk counties in New York.
* Shipments sent under the "certain individuals" exception must be infrequent (no more than 10 shipments in any 30 day period) and weigh 10 ounces or less; however, no special weight limits apply to shipments entirely within Alaska and Hawaii.
* Cigarettes and smokeless tobacco are prohibited in both inbound and outbound international mail.
* Note: these rules do not apply to cigars, which continue to be mailable matter.

Maybe it's the boss's wife, who the heck knows.
Old 30th October 2010, 06:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd November 2010, 04:45 AM   #3
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting that such a heavy smoker as the Presedent is, he would have signed such a document. However, I have to agree with parts of it. If I was a crooked man, I would travel to KY (not a long trip for me) where smokes are cheap (realitivily) and aren't taxed completely rediculously as they are in other states, then I would be making all kinds of money in bulk shipments of smokes to, well lets see....where are smokes overly taxed?......NY, well all of the north east, TX, MI, ect. International would be big market, I know smokers easily go broke up in Canada.

I suppose gangs are funded by these types of operations. After all, Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances.
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:35 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Can you mail alcohol, pot, heroin or crack?

dave
Old 3rd November 2010, 05:48 AM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

No, but three of those are illegal to posses in any case.

This is all about states being able to collect their taxes rather than nanny-ism. There is already a large underground business of smuggling cigarettes from low tax states to high tax states via truck, so this is just an extension of those already-existing laws, Expect that there will also soon be mechanisms for states to force collection of sales taxes from all sorts of e-commerce as well.
Old 7th November 2010, 04:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

look for that to put a damper on e-commerse as well.
Old 30th November 2010, 10:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Completely off-topic but what the heck is the point of "Smokeless tobacco" hell label the stuff organic insecticide unprocessed, it does kill bugs yanno
Old 1st December 2010, 06:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Smokeless tobacco is chew, a plug, or snuff. In the olden days snuff was very finely ground cured dried tobacco leaves of the highest quality, the 'new leaves' of the plant. It was sniffed like cocaine is today. However the modern term of snuff is like chew except finely ground and you stick it in your lip. Skoal or Coppenhagen (or cough-n-gaggin as I always referred to it)

It is also a not so healthy habbit. Fill your mouth full of chew or Skoal and then kiss your girl.....I bet it won't go over so savy.......he he.....

Oh yeah, it is very true that if you are sitting on a lake fishing and the bugs and mosquitoes are pestering you, just light up a big fat stinky dog turd cigar and they will leave you alone. Tobacco is an irritant to not only people and other animals around you but also to insects.

Last edited by CBS240; 1st December 2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 1st December 2010, 06:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

simple solution, just use FedEx...
they never ask what youre shipping
in fact, alot of shipping services for packages is done by FedEx FOR the USPS...
Old 6th December 2010, 02:19 PM   #10
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinthebox View Post
simple solution, just use FedEx...
they never ask what youre shipping
in fact, alot of shipping services for packages is done by FedEx FOR the USPS...

You must be referring to the airmail contracts... My experience is a bit different referring to "Smart Post" which is anything but.. Fedex uses the USPS to deliver packages to the recipient. They truck in bulk to specific USPS facilities across the country and the USPS takes care of the final delivery to the customer. Very slightly cheaper than Fedex ground, this is the slowest and most circuitous form of shipping that Fedex offers and the problem is not with the USPS. They do offer tracking on these shipments and I got to watch my package travel from Fedex facility to Fedex facility all over the country - no rhythm or reason I could determine .. Took 3 weeks to deliver a package that I could have had in days if that vendor had offered Fedex ground service. I will never buy from that company again and I will never ever use that shipping option.. There's lots of negative press about this service, and IMLE it's justified..

Hide this!Advertise here!