More nannying -- the US Postal Service - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2013, 04:14 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Yes, but the competition isn't staffed by federal employees.
Old 28th January 2013, 04:21 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

They've been losing money as no one in the US Postal Service ever took a course in micro-economics. The water started going out of the bath-tub faster after the 1970 strike.
Old 28th January 2013, 05:21 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you check what it costs with the competition the USPS is still a bargain.
This may be true, but nobody is going to pay $25 to ship a $35 PC board. Two years ago it was $9.95 in a small flat rate envelope. A flat rate box that used to ship internationally for $20 is now $59.95.
Old 28th January 2013, 05:53 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Tubelab has lost money in all but one of its 7 years. About half of my sales WERE international. The USPS has raised the cost of sending a single PC board from $12.95 to $23.95 in two years. I think that this is now the final nail.
You can ship 8 ounces in a large envelope via First Class International for just $8.00 (ran the rate for a shipment to Australia).

se
Old 28th January 2013, 05:59 PM   #35
SyBorg is offline SyBorg  United States
diyAudio Member

I have used stamps.com for my business mailings for years (electronic modules, software, etc). No waiting in lines, I just drop the packages into the chute at the post office or have the carrier pick it up. All the customs info is pre-printed on the label and bar coded. Works for all the international stuff as well (first class, priority, express).

Most of the boards that I ship are 4-6oz in a bubble mailer, which costs anywhere from $4-$6 anywhere in the world.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:00 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
And the competition isn't tasked with delivering first class mail to every address in the United States six days a week. The FedEx and UPS drivers just stop at addresses that have FedEx and UPS deliveries. Our carrier walks his entire route every day, six days a week.

Nor are they forced by congress to fully fund their pension plans for 75 years. That's over $3 billion a year out of their revenues each year.

se
Old 28th January 2013, 06:08 PM   #37
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Last I checked, First Class International was not available to all countries and where it was available took forever to arrive at the destination. In addition, first class international is (at least to my knowledge) not available on-line, thus, requiring you to stand in line at the post office. Further, the shipping charge needs to cover the cost of shipping materials as well.

I use Priority International as shipping supplies (quite nice padded envelopes) are provided and it allows me to print the postage and customs documents at home and just drop off the envelope in a mailbox on my way to work. I can't afford spending 15~30 minutes in line to mail a board. Now, if you want to pay me $100/hour to stand in line, I'll gladly do it. But then it'd be more cost effective to use Priority International...

~Tom
Old 28th January 2013, 06:14 PM   #38
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAnonymous1 View Post
Have you ever mailed a letter through any of the competitors? I have. I mailed a letter from Seattle to Texas using UPS. Cost: $17. USPS would have charged $5 for a similar service. Probably $1.50 for 1st class mail.

I continue to use USPS because they provide a cost-effective product. I just refuse to stand in line at the post office as that ruins the "effective" part rather quickly.

~Tom
Old 28th January 2013, 06:27 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Eddy View Post
And the competition isn't tasked with delivering first class mail to every address in the United States six days a week. The FedEx and UPS drivers just stop at addresses that have FedEx and UPS deliveries. Our carrier walks his entire route every day, six days a week.

Nor are they forced by congress to fully fund their pension plans for 75 years. That's over $3 billion a year out of their revenues each year.

se
I never could understand the logic behind that. 75 years? WTF is wrong with congress to require that. If that were applied to private business they'd fall like dominoes.
Old 28th January 2013, 06:30 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
This may be true, but nobody is going to pay $25 to ship a $35 PC board. Two years ago it was $9.95 in a small flat rate envelope. A flat rate box that used to ship internationally for $20 is now $59.95.
The price of fuel & labor just keeps going up. It's a sad fact of life.

Hide this!Advertise here!