More nannying -- the US Postal Service - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th December 2010, 02:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

I use the USPS Priority for DK and the packages arrive the next day.
Old 6th December 2010, 04:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Can you mail alcohol, pot, heroin or crack?
You can and a lot of people do. It is not legal but very few people ever get caught.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:18 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Tobacco. It's simple. Outlaw it. Other than a tax source and a way to kill people, it serves no purpose.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:41 AM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
There is already a large underground business of smuggling cigarettes from low tax states to high tax states via truck...
There has been for as long as I can remember. Also vans and the trunks of cars. Not super high profit, but low risk. NC to NY was a major route.

Quote:
Expect that there will also soon be mechanisms for states to force collection of sales taxes from all sorts of e-commerce as well.
North Carolina has already tried that. For awhile (10-12 years ago) they hit us with an out of state e-commerce tax on the income tax form. If you didn't want to pay it, you had to prove you didn't buy anything out of state. Did not see that on last year's form.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:56 AM   #15
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

In Australia the tax on tobacco is so high (one pack of 20 cigs goes for $14 - $18), many farmers have taken to circumventing the system entirely and selling illegally to retail outlets. The product is known as 'chop chop' and is available under the counter at many shops stocking tobacco products.

Glad I gave up
Old 7th December 2010, 05:04 AM   #16
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

Exactly. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances there is. Banning it only creates more contraband....gang fuel, violence, ect. Like any drug, education is the best weapon. The problem is in the nanny social state the world is becoming, people are not responsible for their own choices anymore. Why should it be my responsibility or problem if someone chooses to smoke their whole life and gets sick? It says on every pack of smokes that it is going to make you sick. How much more codling do we need for people? Decisions have consequences, at least they are suppose to.
Old 9th December 2010, 03:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

I stopped smoking cigs in October 2008 and I do not think I ever even felt any kind of physical withdrawal symptoms at all. I did feel like killing a few people almost every day though. It was not easy but I think the only addiction I had was having something to do with my hands IE a mental addiction. I smoked a lot for almost 30 years too. Everybody who gives them up has to find their own way that works for them but for me I used the Kojack method. I bought hundreds of suckers to replace the cigs in my hands and mouth. I tried it a few other ways before that but fell off the wagon really fast.

I must admit that I LOVE second hand smoke though. I not only allow but encourage everybody I know to smoke as much as they want in my house or in my truck.
Old 9th December 2010, 08:07 AM   #18
CBS240 is offline CBS240  United States
diyAudio Member

It is a proven fact that nicotine has an effect on brain development. People who are under the age at when their brain is fully developed, early 20's, it is shown that the brain develops around the presence of nicotine. This is why someone who uses tobacco in their teenage years never really loses the craving of nicotine throughout their life and it is very difficult for them to quit. If you begin the use of tobacco after this age, it is much easier to give it up. My opinion, like alcohol, tobacco should be banned for use under the age of 21 at least. In the US, there was significant pressure to not advertise to teenagers and to prevent sale to them. This is a good start in policy, but like with any drug, education is the key. I will admit on ocasions when I am ready to start killing people for their supidity I will sometime engage in a smoke, but I am not a habitual smoker. It does have a calming effect and helps with road rage, but does not have the impairment of alchohol. I sometimes buy a pack of smokes, smoke one or two and give the rest away before they become stale. I only wish they would sell packs of two cigarettes. That would be perfect. Then I would not have to spend the money on a whole damn pack of 20! But try to get that by the marketing dept. of cigarette companies.

Last edited by CBS240; 9th December 2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 9th December 2010, 09:22 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I don't know where you live (Lousiana or Los Angeles) but in most areas in the not so good parts of town mostly but also some in the good parts of town the little stores sell single cigs. They call them looseys. But if you can live without them then why smoke any at all?

You do have to be a certain age to buy cigs. In Texas anyway but I think everywhere else too. I am not sure what the age is but before I quit I was carded buying them a few times. I think that the age for drinking, voting and buying cigs should be the same. I don't really know how they could work that out or what the age should be but the age for draft registration should also be the same. If you are an adult you should be able to do all the adult things you want to.

I was about 20 (maybe late 19) when I started smoking. Maybe it would have been harder to stop if I had started as a little kid (at 20 I was for sure a kid). I smoked a lot though. Between 1 and 3 packs a day depending on how long I was awake. So let me see it would have been sometime in 1983 I started and October 2008 when I quit so thats 25 years. I still think the physical addiction to nicotine is a bunch of **. There may be some but it is so little you can't notice it. At least I didn't. It is still very hard to quit but not because of a physical addiction. People can die from alcohol or heroin withdrawals. THAT is a physical addiction.

Last edited by Peckerwood; 9th December 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 23rd October 2012, 11:43 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Here's a new one at the US Postal Service -- I was sending 2 parcels out of the US via first class mail -- a couple printed circuit boards and some matched MOSFETs -- the Customs form data must be manually entered by the postal clerk into their system. Our fellow, with whom I discuss college football at every opportunity had to ask "What kind of transistors" -- to which I responded "silicon". "What kind of printed circuit board" -- "green, with holes". Note that if you use priority mail they don't ask any questions.

The nanny state lives.

Hide this!Advertise here!