Sydney Meetup - interest? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd December 2012, 11:51 PM   #11
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

absolutely, I knew no-one when I went to my first meet, I was a fairly new head-fi member too, but I split a hotel room with another member, met some people there and ive gone every year since. the last 3 years I have been hosted by these people and one I can see will be a lifelong friend (also a member here, nattonrice) we talk/email several times a week and he (and his family) probably knows more about me than many of my much longer held friends.

a little OT, but just to illustrate a point

this was this years Sydney Headfi meet

the first photo is Winks Table, the average headphone on this table is well over a grand, with a couple rare ones pushing 5K plus recable value. free for anyone to take away and try on your system as long as you ask and look after them. hes also been known to lend them to people to take home and return at a later date.

the second picture is about 35K in STAX and Sennheiser electrostats including the SR009, SR007 mk1/mkII and HE60. these are there for people to try, the 009 is pushing 8K I think.pretty much the top 5 of the worlds most expensive headphones in one picture

the 3rd is Toms (nattonrice) DIY T2 electrostatic amp, OMG what an amp!

the last is me (with the long hair) and a guy from 'Addicted to Audio' in Melbourne. not only did we chat for a while, having never met before, but we even managed to find some common ground for music auditions, since the T2 can drive 2 headphones at once, we took turns and it was a nice little journey.

not a single incident, I dont know a single person (in person) in the background of the third photo I dont think, not before this year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winks table.jpg (248.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg STAX candy.jpg (172.5 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Tom's DIY T2.jpg (227.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg me with STAX SR007.jpg (206.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by qusp; 3rd December 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

freax

I've met with several members in the Newcastle area and even hopped on a plane to Melbourne. A guy from Melbourne visited and stayed for days on a couple of occasions. Long term friendships have been formed with these people even though I had never known them previously nor any idea of their history. We just had a common interest and it went from there. It was difficult for me initially as I am a OCD sufferer, but just hurdled the barriers I placed in front of myself.

We've had show and tell at each other places as well as discussions, helping and giving opinions on designs but mostly just yacking about anything. There's never been any issues of theft etc and the wife has been supportive.

I'm no longer active in diy audio but still keep in contact with some of these guys. In the not so distant future, I hope to get on a plane to Melbourne again and the go visiting.... health permitting.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:49 AM   #13
freax is online now freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

a lot of nice equipment there, I even see the 4U rackmount case from jaycar that I cannot seem to make into a project.

but I've also just been called a sad sack of ****, so who am I to believe here? are you guys nice and kind or are you just like regular aussie folk? I can't stand that kind of ****, if I'm spoken to in that manner in public I'll flip my lid and kill someone.

**** all of you aussie *****, I come on here to talk to the americans anyway exactly because of this ********.
Old 4th December 2012, 02:26 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

freax, if you cant see why you were spoken to like that, then i'm not sure what else to say.

you just projected a whole world of crap onto people who are very unlikely to be that way, that tends to put people offside.

you will be treated in kind.

go there with a good attitude and an open mind, I suspect you'll have a good time, go their expecting to..I dunno what you expect to happen, but obviously something bad, then I dont expect you will have a good time and people will see it written all over your face so may not be friendly

Last edited by qusp; 4th December 2012 at 02:31 AM.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:05 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I like to think that the diy audio community (and the audio community at large) in Sydney are nice folk.

Apprehension is totally understandable given the value of the equipment you no doubt own.
I had very similar misgivings the first time I attended a meet.
I can only recommend that you do what I did and attend your first meet with out bringing any equipment.
Once you get to know the regulars at your meet of choice, then you can think of contributing gear at subsequent ones (if you feel comfortable of course).
Old 4th December 2012, 03:54 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
a lot of nice equipment there, I even see the 4U rackmount case from jaycar that I cannot seem to make into a project.

but I've also just been called a sad sack of ****, so who am I to believe here? are you guys nice and kind or are you just like regular aussie folk? I can't stand that kind of ****, if I'm spoken to in that manner in public I'll flip my lid and kill someone.

**** all of you aussie *****, I come on here to talk to the americans anyway exactly because of this ********.
I'm really hoping you're a troll. Either you're a troll or a hypocrite, and a particularly insensitive hypocrite at that.

You throw about unfounded accusations like they're water - hell, you had a fair go at a whole city, then followed up by attacking your whole country! - and then wonder why people think you're acting rudely.

I'll give you a hint: It's because you're being rude.

Aussies are nice people. Sure, we have our share of bigots and fools, and there may even be some intersection between those groups and the DIY Audio community. That's besides the point - they're not the majority on the streets, and they're certainly not the majority here!

EDIT: Oh, and on the off chance that we can have an on-topic discussion, I'd be glad to join any such meetup!

Last edited by TheSeekerr; 4th December 2012 at 03:59 AM.
Old 4th December 2012, 05:18 AM   #17
freax is online now freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

so none of you thought it was strange or overly patriotic that I had the **** blasted out of me just because I was cynical of a city?
Old 4th December 2012, 06:57 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

I'm not in the business of telling people how to talk on a forum, or how to react to what is posted.

I thought I was giving some well tempered advice based on my own experiences.
Old 4th December 2012, 07:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

*Double post on purpose*

dasfreak: I agree with Terry in that this forum is rather USA centric (especially this section!). You may get more traction at SNA, specifically in the get-together sub-forum.
Old 4th December 2012, 03:07 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freax View Post
so none of you thought it was strange or overly patriotic that I had the **** blasted out of me just because I was cynical of a city?
wow...

thats OK, pretty sure they didnt want you there anyway. act like this ANYWHERE with ANYBODY in ANY country and they will put you in the too hard basket/damaged goods category i'm afraid

i've already seen the unending stream of anti Australian commentary that spills forth from your mouth. its one thing to be anti-establishment, comes with a certain point in life sometimes and we get plenty to reinforce that in the press because some things are just fubared, but you seem to be having a great deal of trouble coming to grips with being human.....perhaps you should get out amongst them?

cynical? Ha minimization much?

that is all....

Last edited by qusp; 4th December 2012 at 03:21 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!