Antichaos, Adaptation, and Dr. Kauffman

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:cop: Please do not post copyrighted material on the forum. Links are OK. Content removed.

I came across this paper recently while I was doing research online. I found it incredibly interesting. The concept of self-organized criticality in complex systems affords the opportunity for order to arise without natural selection. Further insight into this topic may provide a more complete representation, when combined with Darwin's concept of natural selection, for how life could form and how it may have formed on earth.
Any Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon, I know some people on this forum are interested in the topic. Maybe not from a biological perspective, but surely from a systems perspective since systems theory influences nearly every field of knowledge.

Could anybody recommend any related papers?

playing the devil's advocate here, but couldn't you have just posted a link?
http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~king/745/antichaos.pdf

playing the devil's advocate here, but couldn't you have just posted a link?
http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~king/745/antichaos.pdf

Ron E,

Thanks for providing a link to a PDF version of the article. The descriptive images in the PDF version afford a more complete representation of Dr. Kauffman's thoughts.

When I stumbled upon the article, I was doing research in one of Purdue's computer labs and the article was presented as text. A PDF file wasn't linked and I needed to leave for class. When doing research online, I try to establish a set of potential topics to be covered and subsequently do searches on those topics.

I research a topic, which leads to the creation of potential subtopics, which leads to a search of one of the potential subtopics of that topic, which leads to the creation of potential subtopics of that topic, which leads to a search of one of the potential subtopics of that topic, which leads to the creation of potential subtopics of that topic.

This process continues ad infinitum or until I decide the research session should end. I try to keep each webpage open, so I can easily do subsequent searches of the set of potential subtopics realized from that webpage. The number of open webpages quickly expands to be over 100 after a short time. As a result, sometimes I lose the ability to determine the particular webpage that a particular topic and search originated from. In order to preserve my ability to easily navigate my desktop, I have to close webpages.

When searching topics within a set of subtopics, I often choose to do a search of an individual topic, at the expense of the other topics within that set of subtopics. I try to minimize the opportunity cost associated with searching topics at the expense of other topics by creating a search outline, which describes the topics I've searched during that session. In addition, I might not remember the specific details of all the individual topics I encountered during that particular research session nor my subsequent thoughts on those topics, so a search outline helps to structure my thoughts and correlate them with topics I might encounter during later research sessions.

In Microsoft Word, I specify the current topic I am exploring, provide a quantitative and qualitative description of the topic, discuss my thoughts on the topic, attempt to attribute a level of certainty regarding the factuality of the information on that webpage, specify potential subtopics, and briefly summarize the subtopics. In particular cases, I may stumble upon a webpage that I've determined possesses an inordinate amount of valuable information. I may decide to download the PDF or to copy that information into Microsoft Word so I can quickly access it on my Droid or PC at a later time.

I couldn't find a link to the PDF, so I copied the text into Microsoft Word, saved the file, emailed it to myself as an attachment so I could view it at my apartment, and left for class. Later, I thought a discussion of the article on DIYAudio could be interesting since many of its members are engineers or otherwise mathematically oriented individuals who might possess knowledge of systems theory and may be able to provide further insight into the topics discussed by Dr. Kauffman. I had already saved the article as a Word document and I was feeling lazy, so I simply pulled up the Word document, copied the text, and pasted it into the browser window. If this was inappropriate, I apologize.

Thadman

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.