Michelson and Morley proved Einstein was wrong - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > The Lounge

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2010, 02:25 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
Relativity is one of the most well-established and experimentally verified principles of modern physics.
In theory it should be easy to get to the bottom of this. Bryan G. Wallace in his 'Farce of Physics' (chapter 4) notes:

At the December 1974 AAS Dynamical Astronomy Meeting, E. M. Standish Jr of JPL reported that significant unexplained systematic variations existed in all the interplanetary data, and that they are forced to use empirical correction factors that have no theoretical foundation.

So who's lying - Bryan Wallace or E. Myles Standish?
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:10 AM   #12
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I don't know who Standish is and your cite is totally inadequate to be able to find out what he actually said.

edit: Googled Standish. Still don't know what he actually said and in what context, other than a third hand recounting from a crank.
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:58 AM   #13
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

If Einstein was wrong, how come his groundbreaking theory took hold and convinced the most brilliant scientific minds at a time when Maxwells theory was
the dominant ( universal ) truth ?

This i do not understand.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:00 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7n7is View Post
[snip]Also, the MMX was always done on the surface of or above the surface of the Earth which we know rotates around its axis and revolves around the sun. Because of this motion, there must be a Sagnac effect from both types of motion, meaning that the actual speed of light from one point to another on the surface of the earth must differ depending on direction of the beam of light. [snip].
Interesting. I'm not a physicist but I always thought that the speed of light did NOT vary with the position and/or speed of the observer (in the saem medium). Is that incorrect?

jd
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:18 PM   #15
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janneman View Post
Interesting. I'm not a physicist but I always thought that the speed of light did NOT vary with the position and/or speed of the observer (in the saem medium). Is that incorrect?
The observers must be in the same inertial frame.
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:26 PM   #16
hates ground loops
diyAudio Member

To all you haters: Ever been hit by a muon? Explain yourselfs.
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I am glad Einstein was wrong, otherwise various countries on earth would have thousands of horrific weapons called "nuclear bombs"
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:27 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY View Post
The observers must be in the same inertial frame.
OK, so if the light source moves wrt two observers, who are stationary wrt each other, each 'sees' the same speed of light?

jd
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:35 PM   #19
diyAudio Moderator

If they're in the same inertial frame (i.e., stationary or moving at a constant velocity with respect to one another), c is constant.
Old 23rd August 2010, 01:54 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

What complete hogwash. You try to disprove the entire SRT by claiming the absence of Sagnac effect? Did it occur to you that the 2mile/second resolution of the MMX may be too small to observe that effect? Earth is not in uniform motion but close enough to do these kinds of experiments without that effect influencing the results.

Remember that Lorentz's theory has absolutely NO basis other than trying to tackle the problem of the null result of the MMX. It's a total stopgap.

I suppose the experiments done with atomic clocks at different speeds relative to eachother are unimportant? They sure as hell experience a dilation effect.
Or the time-dilation experienced by the Muons, which should not reach earth if time dilation does not exist, but yet they do?

And apart from that, what IF we are moving relatively to the aether? It seems that our movement is small enough not to make our physics misbehave too much. What about planets that move with say .8c relative to us. Do they move with .8c relative to the aether as well? Doesn't that make normal physics impossible on those planets?

That violates the spirit of the Copernican Paradigm my friend, Earth is not special, all frames of reference are equal.

Last edited by mace1337; 23rd August 2010 at 02:00 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!